WnSoft Forums

Updated view of the main window

Igor

We've reworked the main window in PicturesToExe 7.0

1. Tabs to switch between Slide list and Timeline modes.

2. Slide list now displays times of slides. You can edit time of one or several selected slides right here.

3. Slide list displays transition effect time and AB button to choose effect. You can also edit these values.

4. File list displays audio files. You can drag'n'drop audio file(s) into Slide list to add background music (Project options window | Music tab will appear).

5. File list displays video clips. It possible to drag'n'drop video clips into Slide list as slides (also you can use Objects & animation editor to add video clip objects).

6. Updated elements of user interface (UI).

P.S. I can add an option to hide time values in the Slide list if you prefer old style of the Slide list.

post-1-0-04057400-1300259355_thumb.jpg

Igor,

I think this new design will prove to be a great improvement, once we get used to it. However, I notice that the icon to show "Fullscreen view of slide list" is no longer present. During the course of the many demonstrations of PTE that I have given, I have been surprised how often existing users of PTE were unaware of this icon and of the feature to show all the slides on a "digital light box". I ask that you please consider re-instating this icon, perhaps alongside the new "X" button on the bar under the mini-player. And it might make its purpose more obvious to a new user if it was called the "Slide sorting tray". Having keyboard shortcuts is fine for the experienced user; but the new user will be looking for icons to perform the functions.

regards,

Peter

Igor -

I agree with Peter re the digital light box feature, I use it all the time. I would hate to lose it.

Greg Gordon

Thank you Igor for this new interface.

The display of slide duration and transition duration will be very useful.

Please, dont forget that we need also a direct access to the "Full screen view of slide list".

I am continuously switching between these two windows, as most of my shows are not synchronized with music and run manually.

Maybe an extra tab switch ?

Thanks for your responses!

We tried make the new interface simple and intuitive.

It still possible call "Fullscreen view of Slide list" ("Digital lightbox") by pressing F4 key on the keyboard or call this function from the Main menu | View sub-menu.

Igor,

The point I was making in my post above is that, a keyboard or command menu option is fine for the experienced user, but the novice user expects to find all the essential and really useful function available via icons. I think the best way to explore new software is by letting the mouse hover over the icons to see what each one is labelled. The user interface for PTE is, in some respects, still based on a typical interface from the late 1990s or very early 2000s. But we are in the second decade of the 2000s now; just think about the user interface as implemented on such as the iPad and other similar devices: it is icon-based. That is what the modern user is accustomed to; and is what I believe PTE should be moving towards - an icon-based user interface that is backed by command menus and keyboard shortcuts for use as the user's experience grows.

regards,

Peter

I agree with davegee ... the F3/F4 keys are the quick way to toggle the views.

But as for being intuitive to new users ... shortcut keys are slowly learned thru use and time.

A proposal:

How possible is it to add/detect a double-click action of the open area within the slide/file panels to toggle to the full screen views ?

This I believe would be a very intuitive action ... and the GUI panel would still be simple and uncluttered.

Igor,

The point I was making in my post above is that, a keyboard or command menu option is fine for the experienced user, but the novice user expects to find all the essential and really useful function available via icons. I think the best way to explore new software is by letting the mouse hover over the icons to see what each one is labelled. The user interface for PTE is, in some respects, still based on a typical interface from the late 1990s or very early 2000s. But we are in the second decade of the 2000s now; just think about the user interface as implemented on such as the iPad and other similar devices: it is icon-based. That is what the modern user is accustomed to; and is what I believe PTE should be moving towards - an icon-based user interface that is backed by command menus and keyboard shortcuts for use as the user's experience grows.

regards,

Peter

I totaly agree with Peter !

The main complain I read about PTE is its interface that a lot of reviewer think it's stark and complex.

I don't think so but it's probably because I'm used to it (I use this software for a long time now).

But to be the most impartial as possible, let's be honest, it's not very sexy and appealing.

As Peter said, it's a little bit old fashioned.

I'm quite sure an interface with BIG ICONS would fit new users tastes.

And it would give a more modern look to the software that really needs it.

Once again, I don't speak for myself but for newcomers.

And when people choose a software, the design is VERY important.

For a user/marketing point of view, a new look for the interface could contribute to expand the clients base.

I think Wnsoft has generally to think about the future and its commercial strategy.

Hi Igor,

Perhaps I am conditioned by my years using and programming for "DOS" applications, but I still find very good use for having the old "Classic" view available. There are times when I like to be able to see the "size" of files and quickly scroll through the list to find a file name without having to look through hundreds of icons.

If you could at least preserve the "option" of having the Classic view - even by means of a keystroke, it would be helpful I believe. I know that the present generation of young users are "visually" oriented and I can understand that approach to building slideshows via the "lightroom" - but there are many times when I find it "much" quicker to find a particular slide by quickly scrolling through a "list" than looking at thumbnails. For example, I may have several slides which "look" very similar but one could be a "huge" original and another a 1024x768 version and both in the same folder. With the "classic" view I could easily choose the correct one but in the thumbnail views or lightroom views it is much more difficult.

Just some way of having the "Classic View" preserved would be helpful.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

You've raised a good question. But I'm afraid that there is a problem with "Classical" and "Vertical" views. So I kept only one view shown on this screenshot.

The problem is logical - new tabs for Slides/Timeline will not fit with other design of the main window. Slide list now should be located at the bottom-right part of the main window.

Hi Igor,

It's a "no win" situation. You can please "some" of the people all of the time, all the people "some of the time," but you can't please "all" the people "all the time."

What's truly important is for you to do the best you can, and eventually we will all agree that it's in the best interest of both Winsoft "and" us. We "will" be happy with what you do. Just go ahead and do it and apologize later - LOL

Best regards,

Lin

Peter,

If I make a new modern interface, a half of PTE users will hate me.

Lin,

You've raised a good question. But I'm afraid that there is a problem with "Classical" and "Vertical" views. So I kept only one view shown on this screenshot.

The problem is logical - new tabs for Slides/Timeline will not fit with other design of the main window. Slide list now should be located at the bottom-right part of the main window.

==================

Igor...

Please keep the Classic View!!!!!!!!

Gary

What's truly important is for you to do the best you can, and eventually we will all agree that it's in the best interest of both Winsoft "and" us. We "will" be happy with what you do. Just go ahead and do it and apologize later - LOL

+1