WnSoft Forums

Question on future version - scaling keyframes

Igor

Hi,

In current version 8.0 there are two modes of keyframes:

1. Absolute time positions and linked keyframes (since v5.0).

2. New mode - time positions of keyframes in percentage (since v8.0)

(The corresponding option "Scale keyframes in objects..." is located in the Slide options window.)

There was an interesting discussion in Durations and Keyframes topic during beta testing of PTE 8.0.

Please read this post there:

I would ask Igor to give us the option to choose B-C scaling or A-D scaling.

We have the suggestion for future version:

1. Remove the old mode (absolute time positions of keyframes).

2. Remove "Scale keyframes in objects..." option from Slide options.

3. All keyframes use A-D (full slide duration) or B-C scaling (range between two transition effects).

A-D or B-C scaling can be choosed individually for each keyframe.

What you think?

Example:

post-1-0-85502000-1403096228_thumb.jpg

1st and 4th keyframes have A-D scaling mode.

2nd and 3rd keyframes have B-C scaling mode.

Now if we change slide duration, these keyframes always will be placed exactly to A/B/C/D points (beginning/end of transition effects).

A new concept where all keyframes are scaled automatically cannot be a solution !!!!!

In my opinion, the duration of a slide, and the flow (rhythm) of an animation must not naturally correlate. So, once having built an animation, a later change of the slide duration should not automatically change the positions of keyframes. I often create slides where the transition is followed by an animation in order to build up some arrangement (collage) of images. In a later process of development, I change the positions of the transition points according to the music (with the consequence that the slide durations change). But this synchronization process should not have any influence on the positions of keyframes inside the slides.

There may be scaling options for keyframes, but there also must be an option for keyframes which fulfills the following 2 requirements:

1. Keyframes on transition endpoints should stay at these positions, on changes of slide durations and on changes of transition times.

2. Changes of slide durations should not change the absolute positions of keyframes (relative to the slides' starting points)

Regards,

jt

Igor, I have received your question w!ith enormous delight! Thank you for raising the question at this time.

I will find it difficult to respond fully right now, as I am enjoying a brilliant tour of Iceland and am using a tablet. Let me just say that your suggested way forward would suit me perfectly.

I will follow the discussion with great interest until I reach home (and my computer) on July 11.

Thanks aplenty!

Ken T (APLman)

If we consider the way one very wellknown AV editing software proceed :

1) you must begin to define a slide duration
2) you may build up animation with keyframe positions along the slide duration as you want
3) if necessary you select and put transitions which are superposed to the slides but they are quite independent of them (so it is possible to adjust transition effects and duration without any impact on slide duration and animation). Alarms are indicated in case of user's error (compatibility between transition and slide duration as an example)

And so, working that way, transition effects and slide animations runs indepently and can be tuned up independently as the user want it.

Having build up a slide animation, what could help the user to save time if the slide duration should be modified :

1) first option* : If the slide duration should be modified as a whole (for music synchronization as an example), all the keyframes should be scaled. (In such a case the transition effect is not affected except if the user decide to modify it by himself)

2) second option** : all the keyframes remain at their time points and space is added after the last one.

(this option )

I think that is a very convenient way for most AV show makers.

PTE works a bit differently as slide duration and transition effects are imbricated which leads, some times to times, to complicate situation for "common" PTE users.

- The first option mentionned above * is available with V8 and should remain, in my opinion it is very usefull

- The second option mentionned above ** does not work with V8 if you want to increase duration with an animation having its last keyframe at C point, which is a strange behaviour ! But I know some of PTE's user do not want to change it. This should lead to 2 different options.

On top of that, obviously new PTE versions should also assume compatibility with old ones ....

Best regards

Daniel