WnSoft Forums

PicturesToExe 8.0.16: Cover slide mode and 16:9

Igor

Hi,

While we are working on future version 9.0, I've created the experimental version 8.0.16.

This version includes three changes:

1. Cover slide mode in the Project options, Defaults tab.

You can assign Cover mode for main images in all slides. This option is being applied only to landscape images, portrait images stay with "Fit to slide" mode.

2. Cover slide mode is activated by default for main images in a new project (unless you modified the Blank project template).

3. Aspect ratio 16:9 is choosed by default (instead of 4:3).

Dowload the test version 8.0.16 here:

http://www.wnsoft.com/files/test/picturestoexe-setup.exe

What you think about these improvements?

Igor,

Everything works OK. I had to disable my Default Template to get the PTE Default Aspect Ratio - as a check.

I would prefer to see a choice of "Fit" or "Cover" in Project Options / Defaults/ Main Image for new slides.

Perhaps others will comment?

DG

I'm OK with it.

I prefer HD mode (16:9) anyway, as a rule, but I rarely use "cover mode" as it could necessitate cutting off part of an image. However it is easy to reset all slides to "fit to slide" if required.

.........Al

Hi Igor

1) 16/9 as by default screen format is quite a good option, I agree with.

2) concerning Cover slide in Project options

a - Cover slide apply a zoom factor of 133% to all 4/3 pictures which changes their resolution.

b -The 4/3 pictures are cropped automatically

a and b requires user's attention and control, picture by picture, and so I cannot find any big advantage and this even could be tricky for beginners.

If this option should be maintain, I agree with Dave comment : it would be better to get a check box for the different options available

- fit to slide

- cover slide

Personally I would consider as an advantage if it was also possible to select "original size" as a third option. Photographers prefer to manage directly their own picture format without automatic adaptation.

Best regards

Daniel

I have always felt fit or cover slide is the wrong title. Fit to screen or fit to AR would be more descriptive

I agree! The same can be said on the screen options:I would prefer "Fixed/Virtual size of screen" (rather than "Fixed/Virtual size of slide"). In my opinion slide sounds outdated.

Regards,

jt

At this time, what it is called is irrelevant. What Igor has asked is what we think about the change that he has made. For my part I could accept either name, but I think that there is a conflict when "Window Mode" is used.

The name issue perhaps deserves its own thread?

DG

Having 16:9 as default value for the AR would be OK for me (not an important subject).

I would regard the new suggestions for "Cover" as over-organized. What should happen to a quadratic image?

Why not having an option in the Editor section of the Preferences (or somewhere in the Project options) a default value for the mode of all new objects: Cover or Fit?

I often use the mode Cover for portrait images, combined with a vertical pan :)

BTW: I really do not like the notion of Slide in the Screen options (Fixed/Virtual size of slide), and in the Mode menu (Cover/Fit to slide) :angry:

Regards,

jt