WnSoft Forums

Rotate video clips

JJB45

When right clicking on a video in PTE for editing the option for rotation is not available.  It is there for still images.  Is this something that cannot be done to a video or is an adjustment to preferences needed? 

Hi JJB45

Rotation of a video clip is available as in the procedure for a still pic' Highlight your clip in the row on the bottom of your working showscreen,  go to the Objects & Animation tab, that sould open the screen where you animate your clip, see my screen shot.

Regards Rosy

rotate.jpg

Paul I see a lot of video clips on Youtube, almost 70% of them have been taken in portrait mode, then they try to stretch them to fill a lamdscape mode by either showing a stretched version as a background with the original overlaid on top, or a semi stretched version as the main image, either way they look a mess, maybe JJB45 will let us know?

Rosy.

Sometimes a video from Smartphone is not shown in the good mode (portrait or landscape) and we need to rotate it (without transcoding it).

PTE cannot do that for video.

I use command line exiftool or ffmpeg to change the tag "rotation" without changing the video.

Denis

I am aware the image can be rotated in O&A.  I was just curious if it could be done in conjunction with adjustments to begin and end times of the clip.  Also, being saved as an "already rotated" item makes using it in multiple locations a bit easier.  The issue came up with a video made last week of my mother blowing out a candle at her 100th birthday lunch.  The fool behind the camera (me) turned it 90 degrees for some unknown reason. 

PTE 10 automatically recognizes portrait videos and automatically rotates it and shows correctly.

I recorded several test videos with my iPhone at different rotate position and all videos were shows correctly.

You can always rotate video manually in the Objects and animation editor. Probably in future versions we'll add a quick access to rotation for a video clip.

I am using Studio 10.5 standard version.  I inserted the video, both unedited and converted and PTE did not automatically rotate the clip.  The video was not shot with a phone. Could that make a difference? 

iPhone, other smartphones and some traditional cameras add a special meta-tag about an angle of rotation (position). PTE AV Studio 10+ reads this tag and rotates a video clip automatically to show it correctly. 

1 hour ago, JJB45 said:

I am using Studio 10.5 standard version.  I inserted the video, both unedited and converted and PTE did not automatically rotate the clip.  The video was not shot with a phone. Could that make a difference? 

On my Nikon Cameras the appropriate setting (for stills) is "Rotate Tall". There does not appear to be an equivalent setting for Movies. 

I assume that I would therefore have to rotate the movie in O&A. I would not wish to use any other method.

DG