WnSoft Forums

PNG transparency not transferred [SOLVED]

RGAkins

I am an complete and absolute newbie and want to use some silhouettes (black on transparent)

over a motion background. When I add the PNG it is black-on-black! Obviously, I don't know what

I'm doing. I am in need of some gentle help -- thanks so much.

Dick

4 hours ago, RGAkins said:

I am an complete and absolute newbie and want to use some silhouettes (black on transparent)

over a motion background. When I add the PNG it is black-on-black! Obviously, I don't know what

I'm doing. I am in need of some gentle help -- thanks so much.

Dick

Alternatively you could cut out your silhouette & paste it into a blank slide with zero opacity, (I think):wacko:

Rosy

9 minutes ago, rosy said:

blank slide with zero opacity

Rosy, you can't adjust any values on a Blank Slide.

Also if an image has zero opacity the the Black Background would still show.

As Aleina says you need to have a background below the .png file for the transparancy to show.

Jill

I see how to change the background of the PNG, but how do I put it over a video, for example, with the original transparency? I changed the background from black to "gradient," but when I put in in the slide show there is the gradient, not the transparency. I don't see an option for transparency background as the original had.

Do you want to result in a video with a transparent background so that only your PNG image is visible? If yes, then there is no such function in the program. You need software that supports alpha channel when rendering video. For example Adobe After Effects or Davinci Resolve. But these programs are professional and difficult to master.

Jill -- I use Adobe Photoshop (old version) to create PNG's with transparency.

Aleina -- I just want a slideshow consisting of some images and some videos with some black silhouettes moving over them. The silhouettes are PNG with transparency.

Thank you both, and others, for your help.

I also use an old Photoshop to create .PNG and don't have any problems.

Add your image or video in the Slide View.

Then go into Objects and Animation. Make sure that the Object is Not selected, click outside of it so it is not highlighted. Then add your .png and it should appear on top of the image/video as you want.

Jill

To RGAkins: Try This on it may help.
How to create Transparent PNG's with Rotating Fractal Background:
This is a tutorial on how to create Transparent PNG's with Rotating Fractal Background using PTE Av Beta 11 version 9.
FYI: This is for those user's who don't have Photoshop or After Effects.
See Example of Transparent PNG's with Rotating Fractal Background: http://www.pnwhiker.org/pteav/Misc/BeezProject01.mp4

FYI: It may take this a couple minutes to upload to your computer across the web.

If you are trying to convert a jpg to transparent png from the web then here are the steps I have found to transform black/white and color images. 

First you will need Gimp, it is Free photo image editing software, here is the link to Gimp: https://www.gimp.org/downloads/
FYI: If you have user issues, I suggest you goto YouTube and search for Gimp Convert JPG's to Transparent PNG's Images.

Here are the following 10 steps:
Step 1: Download Gimp, Open Gimp: See Gimpl00X.jpg
Step 2: Select File New, I use width 1920 by height 1080, select the OK Button. See Gimp102X.jpg
Step 3: Select File, Open and find the jpg image your looking for, Select it and click on the OK Button:  See Gimp103X.jpg
Step 4: Now Select Layer, Transparency, then choose Color to Alpha..., Just Click The OK Button: See Gimpl07X.jpg and Gimpl08X.jpg 
Step 5: Now Select File, Export as, At the Right Top it says Name: (Change name extension from jpg to png.) Click on the Export Button,
         Another popup will appear (Export Image as PNG) just click on the Export Button. See Gimpl010X.jpg and Gimpl011X.jpg
Step 6: Now Select File, Close All, click on the Discard Changes Button.
Step 7: Now Select File, Quit. 
Step 8: Now Open PTE Av Beta 11 version 9, Create a Frame then choose the image for your background.
Step 9: Then Click on the Objects and Animation Button: See Pteavl020X.jpg
Step 10: Now in the lower right Objects Animation Window, Right Click and Select Add Image and add your PNG File. See Pteavl021X.jpg

Hope This is some Help to you users. Below is the web link to my Free 100 Rotating Fractal Backgrounds.

Free 100 Rotating Fractal Backgrounds: http://www.pnwhiker.org/pteav/Fractal/Fractal00.htm

Gimpl00X.jpg

Gimpl02X.jpg

Gimpl03X.jpg

Gimpl07X.jpg

Gimpl08X.jpg

Gimpl010X.jpg

Gimpl011X.jpg

Pteavl020X.jpg

Pteavl021X.jpg

• Like 1

Happiness is having a forum where generous help from knowledgeable people is readily available - it can make up for lots of shortcomings in software and new users' abilities. (Not that I see any problems, yet, with the software!)

• Like 1

• Igor changed the title to PNG transparency not transferred [SOLVED]
  • 2 weeks later...

Pnwhiker, et. al.

Thanks so much for some of the detailed responses, but I still cannot accomplish what I am aiming to do -

probably my questions were not clear since I just beginning to learn some of the terminology. Let me try again:

I have no problem creating images on transparent backgrounds (usually with an old version of Photoshop,

but also with Gimp or other programs). I almost always save them as PNGs. I can add the PNG to a frame

ala Pnwhiker - no problem. But what I want to do is add it to the timeline such that I can have the black silhouette

move across and over a background (another image or video), and then, perhaps, fade from view. All my attempts

at putting a PNG on the timeline result in a black silhouette on a black (or gradient) background, not a black

silhouette on a transparent background. Maybe I'm trying the impossible!

1 hour ago, RGAkins said:

All my attempts

at putting a PNG on the timeline result in a black silhouette on a black (or gradient) background

Adding your png to the Slidelist or Timeline will result in it being shown against a black background.

You need to add your video or whatever image you want in the background to the Timeline.
You then click on this image & go into Objects & Animation, this is where you add your png image & it will appear above your video.
You then add keyframes to adjust the Opacity of the png to make it fade in & out over the Video.

I assume this is what you are trying to do?

Shilouette.thumb.JPG.3b9925ec5948c6271d5b92910e3e76f7.JPG

Hope this helps, it really is easy once you get the idea.

Jill

Thanks to Jill, et. al.

I finally got it!! Lots of good help and I look forward to progressing and asking many more questions -- and some day

maybe even giving a few answers as payback.

Dick

• Like 1