WnSoft Forums

Video Clips

jimlarkey

Can video clips be included in a PTE show?

I attended a presentation last night made with ProShow Gold, where the composer did all the Ken Burns stuff, but also added a nice touch of sprinkling a few crude video clips in the show. Since many of the point-and-shoot cameras include the video-clip feature, was wondering whether PTE is up to the task?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Jim

Hi Jim,

The answer is no but let me explain a bit further. PTE use hardware rendering which means input resolution equals output resolution. Rendering, if you are not familiar with the term, is a means of starting with a given image then to get the Ken Burns effects creating all the intermediate images necessary to arrive at the desired view. So if you begin with a jpg image from your camera and want to zoom or pan to another view, a sufficient number of new images to get there must be created to effect a smooth video transition. Sometimes this is as many as 60 or more images per second of comuter monitor viewing time and with hardware rendering using the power of the GPU (Graphical Processing Unit) each image created is at the resolution of the original. All other current slideshow programs render at lower resolutions then when and if they need higher output resolution they interpolate the lower resoluton renderings to get to the desired output.

Doing these rendering with software and using the CPU (Central Processing Unit) of the computer the output image is softer and has less detail and resolution. This is quite apparent when these images from other products and from PTE are played side-by-side on high resolution output devices.

Because the majority of other presentation slideshow products have DVD quality as their "primary" intended output mode, dropping in a lower resolution video clip doesn't greatly impact the perceived output quality which is already compromised by the lower resolution rendering. DVD output is either PAL or NTSC, both of which are below 800x600 resolution. The vast majority of digital cameras which have a video mode don't exceed 640x480 pixel output. Interpolating this output up to even NTSC or PAL DVD resolution further reduces quality. If such a video clip were dropped in beside a high quality PTE rendering, it would be immediately apparent - like night and day!

Once the overall quality of video output from consmer devices has reached the next level which is HDTV or BluRay which presently is 1080p (or about two megapixels) it might be feasible to add the feature of dropping in video clips to PTE. I can't speak for the developers, but I suspect this is perhaps the goal. At two megapixels, the video would be indistinguishable in most cases from average slideshows in PTE. Right now low quality video would greatly detract from the overall quality of a PTE presentation.

If you absolutely must have a video clip in PTE it is "possible" but perhaps beyond the degree of effort involved for the "return on investment" to use a low cost video decompiler to decompile the video to individual jpg images then insert these individual images into the slide list and play them back at reasonable video speeds. This works better in some cases than in others. Unlike most other competitive products, PTE can do this a couple ways. Since there are no theoretical limits on the nuber of layers possible with PTE (limited only by hardware and memory) it is possible to use large numbers of smaller files as "objects" in the objects list and program realistic video-like simulations. This method has the advantage of also allowing objects which were not decompiled to also live in other layers and be used in the animation as well. An example of this method was done by JPD and myself in our recent demos. JPD's demo of the Hubble spinning across the screen with the moon also traveling across the sky and my example of the rotating Earth with the moon orbiting were both done in this fashion.

On the other hand if you play individual decompiled video frames in the "slide list" in a rapid fashion you can show the video but not add other objects conveniently such as text or other objects unless you are an expert with video editing software where these other effects would be added there to the original video before decompiling.

Bottom line is that right now PTE doesn't support adding video clip drop-ins. If you want to do this type thing it would be better to do it with one of the lower resolution presentation slideshow software packages which do not support hardware rendering.

Best regards,

Lin

Can video clips be included in a PTE show?

I attended a presentation last night made with ProShow Gold, where the composer did all the Ken Burns stuff, but also added a nice touch of sprinkling a few crude video clips in the show. Since many of the point-and-shoot cameras include the video-clip feature, was wondering whether PTE is up to the task?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Jim

Thanks for your posts, in particular Lin's very thorough explanation of GPU vs CPU rendering. The video clips as I recall, were poor quality, but I figured that was due to the resolution limits on the point-and-shoot camera, as well as blurring due to hand-held camera recording. It was a cool effect, and I certainly expect that the authors of PTE must have it in the back of their mind to develop this feature in the future.

Again thanks for the detailed explanation. Certainly treasure the wisdom and knowledge of posters and users in this forum.

Cheers,

Jim

I too would like the option to add video clips. We use P2E for a speaking program. So this is what I had to do...

I made exe files of my movie clips with ProShow, then made a blank slide in P2E with a link that opens that exe of the video clip.

It's a clumsy method and messy appearance, but at least it's a workaround for now.

Why don't I just use ProShow instead of P2E? While ProShow can be used for manual advance, it's not designed for that. It makes a "cut" (instantaneous) transistion. I prefer a slower transistion (150ms).

Hi,

Take a look at this thread: http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8111 It sounds like it might be possible to add a video clip using a utility written by one of our members, Granot/Boxig (who, unfortunately, seems to have totally disappeared from the forum :( ). I haven't tried it yet myself but since Dom says it works, I will take his word for it!

Here's a link to download the utility in case you want to try it: http://www.thailandphotoalbum.com/ShowVideoPTE.zip

PS - does anybody know what's happened to Granot/Boxig?

This subject of video within a PTE slide show, is an old chestnut. My opinion is that we should learn how to use the many options available to us in PTE and concentrate on creating an acceptable audio visual show with still images. Take a look at Barry Beckhams latest show (Another Age) to see just what can be achieved. If you want to watch video then invest in a Camcorder!

Ron

Hi Jim,

<snip>

Bottom line is that right now PTE doesn't support adding video clip drop-ins. If you want to do this type thing it would be better to do it with one of the lower resolution presentation slideshow software packages which do not support hardware rendering.

Best regards,

Lin

So how does Granot Boxig's exe get PTE to play video? Can PTE be made to support video?

Thanks mhwarner for the link to Granot's post and Dom's.

Regrading the aesthetics of mixing video & stills.....different strokes for different folks!

Cheers Buddy,

Jim

Video within an A.V. sequence Brrrrrrrr, Sir George Pollock will be spinning in his grave.

If you must mix stills with video, why not work the other way around, it's quite simple to add stills to video, even the give away software you sometimes receive when you purchase a dv camcorder has this capability.

Tom.

PTE can call external code internally. So the program runs the video via normal video engines and returns seamlessly to PTE but PTE itself does not run video. PTE to my knowledge is the "only" presentation slideshow which allows low level code to be called from within the program. This is one reason PTE is so flexible. For example you can create multiple executable codes and run them via menu or by assigning various objects to run programming. Years ago I used to use IrfanView and line script to run video via PTE. This is quite different than dropping in video clips along with still images. The first program to allow this was Media@Show which came out of the video industry. It was sold off including the parent company Cyberlink, and development stopped on though it is still marketed. It doesn't do Ken Burns Pan, Zoom, Rotate, etc., but does run video clips seamlessly along-side your still images. Unfortunately it can only do 1024x768 image size (last time I upgraded) but has some of the best text handling and fancy text effects of any software.

Don't look for video clip drop in any time soon with PTE - probably not until video resolution stabilizes at much higher levels than presently.

Best regards,

Lin

So how does Granot Boxig's exe get PTE to play video? Can PTE be made to support video?

Thanks mhwarner for the link to Granot's post and Dom's.

Regrading the aesthetics of mixing video & stills.....different strokes for different folks!

Cheers Buddy,

Jim

Guest Auser

Hey guys,

Video is a fact of life and lots of people enjoy adding video to projects. P2E's only function is not making professional/contest A/V shows. I am sure many people do other things besides entering contest. And again, like some of the other features people have asked for whats wrong with adding video when the time is right. Just because its there does not mean you have to use it. And I am sure it will not stop P2E from continuing to create slide only shows.

But please dont stifle P2E's advancement by continuing to hold on to the old way of doing things. Times change and apps like this need to keep up.

Also, Proshow Producer will allow you to run executable code (and other things) from within the slideshow, so P2E is not the "only" one to do that.

Later

Los videos pueden incluirse al Grabar en Video Builder.

Dividir el slide show y en el Menu, agregar por ejemplo : proyecto 1- video- proyecto 2- video, en la secuencia que se necesite incluir el video.

En Project Options de Video Builder, no marcar "Return to menu after each title "

The videos can be included in Video Builder, I divided my slide show . that when using the Video Builder, it added in the menu and not marking "Return to menu after each title "

I hope to be able to help me understand and above.

It is a translation of google.

P2E doesn't need video clips. Still image slide shows are so nice.

And movies don't need sound. Silent movies are just fine. And besides, video isn't necessary at all. Super 8mm movie film works too. And no one will ever need more than 640K of ram.

Shall I go on?

<_<

I had the opportunity to discuss with Proshow users and one of the main reason why they do not choose PTE is because it can not include videos directly.

Now, when you buy a camera, it has the ability to make photos AND videos.

That's why I think a lot of people want to have this possibility to include both medias in their slideshows.

Even if it's not our personal taste, it's a fact that we can not deny. :)

Lots of people seem to get hot under the collar about this one.

OK, we have the traditionalists at camera clubs, some photo professionals etc etc who think it is a sin to mix stills and video. Fine - just carry on using your stills, but don't overlook the fact that there are lots of other users out there who are 'potterers'.

There are many who are maybe just wanting to create a lasting souvenir of their children growing up, or of a parents' golden wedding, or a family holiday etc, where they have a few photos and a couple of video clips from their camera, as TheDom has suggested.

They may not know too much about the technicalities of photography, and at the same time, may not want to. They just want to produce something that they can treasure in years to come. PTE could cater for all tastes, and those people represent just as valid a group of customers as those who seem to be dead against the use of video.

Come on, you guys - let's have you seeing both sides of the coin, even if you don't want to use that facility yourselves.

wideangle.

What is the difference between a stoat and a weasel?

A weasel is weaselly recognised, whereas a stoat is stoatally different!

P2E doesn't need video clips. Still image slide shows are so nice.

And movies don't need sound. Silent movies are just fine. And besides, video isn't necessary at all. Super 8mm movie film works too. And no one will ever need more than 640K of ram.

Shall I go on?

<_<

I'm not sure I like the sarcasm in your post, with the implication that PTE is somehow old-fashioned, to be aligned with silent movies, 8mm film, and Bill Gate's remark of 25 years ago.

PTE is an advanced slide show program. It produces the best quality slide show images available. Other show programs exist which allow video clips, like Proshow. If you want vid clips, nobody is stopping you from using Proshow.

It's an easy bandwagon to climb onto; take an excellent program and berate it because it doesn't do what it wasn't designed for.

Colin

I am rather concerned at the current - and developing - line of thought which constantly wants otherwise excellent programs to extend their capability further and further, in this case pushing for PTE to allow embedded video clips, despite PTE's technology using the GPU to render excellent images making it unsuitable for including far inferior quality video images.

Who complains that Photoshop, for instance, is not useful as a word processor; or that MS Office does a lousy job of photo editing; or that Irfanview cannot show layers? Why then the clamour for PTE to do something it wasn't designed for?

If Igor at some future stage does incorporate video capability into PTE, that will be fine - but until then, accept PTE for what it is, a high quality still image slide show program with fantastic flexibility, able to produce breath-taking effects way beyond the basic still images from which the show is constructed. Any number of these mind-blowing shows can be had from Beechbrook for the downloading. Wanting vid clip capability is to ignore the riches already in PTE.

Colin