WnSoft Forums

Question on MIDI for next versions

Igor

We plan partially rework music code in PicturesToExe for next version to have united code for Windows version and future Mac version.

It would better if we could remove direct support of MIDI files (presented as a separate code in contraposition to united code of MP3/WMA/OGG/WAV playback).

And MIDI almost not used now in slideshows, unpredictable quality depending on sound card or version of Windows. No MIDI in DVD-Video, MP4, AVI output.

What you think if we remove MIDI support and instead add auto-converter which automatically converts added MIDI file in Project options to MP3 music file?

Is it OK, or would be bad decision?

we can always try the convertor

-- midi are not copyrighted are they ?

would open a whole lot of possible uses

-- i have quite a collection

- before we started making vcd's i used them all the time to keep the size down for mailing exe's

-tried to keep shows <5mb's

ken

What you think if we remove MIDI support and instead add auto-converter which automatically converts added MIDI file in Project options to MP3 music file?

==================

I stopped using Midi's for the obvious reasons but on rare occasion I wished that I could use a Midi as an MP3. So, if a converter can be added to the program, why not? I'd think it would be a nice bonus.

Gary

I actually use my yamaha keyboard to play the chosen midi file and make a line out recording using audacity. These can be saved as a wave file or MP3. The keyboard handles any effects in the midi files in a far better way than the PC sound card and acheives superior sound. Another bonus by using this method is instrument voice may be changed if desired.

I'm not sure whether an auto converter would acheive the same standard.

Alan

we can always try the convertor

-- midi are not copyrighted are they ?

would open a whole lot of possible uses

-- i have quite a collection

ken

I'm sorry to disagree Ken but midi files, like all artistic works, are copyright to the creator, and very often the writer of the music. Often the copyright has been written to the file and is displayed when using some midiplayers. I use the player available free from Van Basco Webpage where the copyright displays in the karaoke window.

Alan

Guest Yachtsman1
I'm sorry to disagree Ken but midi files, like all artistic works, are copyright to the creator, and very often the writer of the music. Often the copyright has been written to the file and is displayed when using some midiplayers. I use the player available free from Van Basco Webpage where the copyright displays in the karaoke window.

Alan

Hi Alan

Your Van Basco link is throwing up an error?

Yachtsman1

Igor , Are you really sure that this Decision Making is correct ?

All worth of picturestoexe depend to support Midi music for artistic works because of :

1- Midi format is the best format compressed music that can used in background music of picturestoexe with much number midi files

2- It's caused to creat slideshow by pte with least size , but you only have in view of creating video by pte

and forget advantage of midi support for creating of slideshow with least size .

3- Midi format is kind of music format that especially was created for artistic works ,

4- Users can add many unlimited Midi format music for background music of picturestoexe without increasing of

size project.exe. but using of wav, mp3 ,wma ,ogg is caused to increasing of size project.exe .

this problem is very important for dialup internet users .please don't disappoint dialup internet users ,

when microsoft.com build windows vista , he don't attend to poor users , at the end they understand that

window vista belong to rich stratum people , and winxp is still popular among the people and win vista still

is not popular among all people , because of statistics using winxp was very large than statistics using winvista

so microsoft determines to present "Windows 7.0 with I.E 8.0" in 2009 .So please you don't forget your poor users. In the otherwise

you will defeat against another servicer slideshow in future .

5- midi format is kind of music without text or language that is suitable for artistic works .

6- Midi Format is the best idea format music for creating slideshow , Igor if you remove this format ,

i promise you will lose plenty of artistic users , and they may go and choose another program slideshow. Be sure !

7- if you really can't fix ApplicationError , please tell truly : I'm Sorry , I can't , but please please don't remove

direct support of MIDI format music in pte , because of it is kind of artistic works' music that particularly

is using in creating slideshow , because target of creating pte was artistic works'slideshow, but no for creating of

video for vimeo.com , youtube.com and other pupular publishing video website that will be created in future .

So please don't digress from your main target.

For instance this midi song (Children.mid) is 4 minute but it is only 84.5 kb ! Does wav or mp3 or even wma can similar this format get least size ? please think a bit ! http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e722350...2db6fb9a8902bda

Please don't this work

sincerely

Guest Yachtsman1
Igor , Are you really sure that this Decision Making is correct ? :(

All worth of picturestoexe depend to support Midi music for artistic works because of :

1- Midi format is the best format compressed music that can used in background music of picturestoexe with much number midi files

2- It's caused to creat slideshow by pte with least volume , but you only have in view of creating video by pte

and forget advantage of midi support for creating of slideshow with least volume.

3- Midi format is kind of music format that especially was created for artistic works ,

4- Users can add many unlimited Midi format music for background music of picturestoexe without increasing of

volume project.exe. but using of wav, mp3 ,wma ,ogg is caused to increasing of volume project.exe .

this problem is very important for dialup internet users .please don't disappoint dialup internet users ,

when microsoft.com build windows vista , he don't attend to poor users , at the end they understand that

window vista belong to rich stratum people , and winxp is still popular among the people and win vista still

is not popular among all people , because of statistics using winxp was very large than statistics using winvista

so microsoft determines to present "Windows 7.0 with I.E 8.0" in 2009 .So please you don't forget your poor users. In the otherwise

you will defeat against another servicer slideshow in future .

5- midi format is kind of music without text or language that is suitable for artistic works .

6- Midi Format is the best idea format music for creating slideshow , Igor if you remove this format ,

i promise you will lose plenty of artistic users , and they may go and choose another program slideshow. Be sure !

7- if you really can't fix ApplicationError , please tell truly : I'm Sorry , I can't , but please please don't remove

direct support of MIDI format music in pte , because of it is kind of artistic works' music that particularly

is using in creating slideshow , because target of creating pte was artistic works'slideshow, but no for creating of

video for vimeo.com , youtube.com and other pupular publishing video website that will be created in future .

So please don't digress from your main target.

For instance this midi song (Children.mid) is 4 minute but it is only 84.5 kb ! Does wav or mp3 or even wma can similar this format get least volume ? please think a bit ! http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e722350...2db6fb9a8902bda

Please don't this work :(

sincerely

Hi I think your translator is mis-using your words, I think you mean file size when you refer to volume???

Yachtsman1

...how long does it take before your synthesized music receives the approval from the copyright board that allows you to say it is copyrighted ?...

Ken,

I cannot speak for the situation in Canada or, indeed, for anywhere other than the UK; but here, as soon as Alan has recorded that MIDI file, it is immediately copyrighted in his name - no board approval is needed. If he composed the piece then he owns the entire copyright set: composer, performer and producer. If he played a piece of music from printed musical score, then whoever wrote that piece owns the copyright for composer. And if he bought that sheet music from a music store (high street or online) he has paid the composer royalty fee as part of the purchase price - so he is covered on that aspect, too.

There have been discussions about copyright several times on the forum. Basically it's a "can of worms" (or, if you prefer, a "gravy train" for the lawyers). And the can and the worms are different in each country. But the bottom line is: there is no such thing as copyright-free anything. And everything any of us create (written word, recorded music or sound, images, PTE sequences) carries at least one - and possibly many more copyrights.

regards,

Peter

With due respect to everyone copyright is not the issue.

A MIDI file incorporated into a PTE EXE would very likely sound different on every different machine it is played on.

The sensible way IMHO is to convert from MIDI to MP3 before making the EXE file.

DaveG

I think this would be a good decision Igor. :rolleyes:

Thank You for all your hard work and the excellent new version.

Happy Christmas

Love from

Maureen, Robert and Fern

Igor,

At one time I was very interested in the use of MIDI as background sound and music, directly, for PTE productions.

However, although I still use a MIDI system as the basis for a lot of my sound effects, and also some "original" musical compositions, I find that the results are much more consistent and reliable if I convert everything to an mp3 file before importing into PTE.

So, I agree with you that there is very little need to continue to make PTE compatible with the MIDI system, itself. It is very easy to convert everything to mp3. Some users may not have all the tools to do this, but they are not very expensive, and are quite easy to use.

:(:o

Igor please don't this work , Midi is the best format to present music backgrond with least size !!!!!!!!!!!!

Mp3 or even wma is largest size than midi , on the otherhand ,what is benefitting in Converting midi to mp3 or wma ?

Does it for supporting mac os and ... in my opinion it's a awful devision , please think a bit igor ....!

Hi Abdol,

It's difficult to understand why you are so enthused with midi? Midi is not a good format for slideshows. Midi sounds different on different systems and the only way to standardize the way it sounds is to convert it to another format like MP3. If you create a slideshow using MIDI background sound and send it to 10 different people probably three won't be able to hear the sound at all, and of the remaining seven, four will hear it differently than the others. What may sound "great" on your system could easily sound terrible on other's systems. Add this to Ken's explanation that a computer is required to play MIDI (it can't be encoded and played in a video format) and you have an orphan sound file with very little utility outside of musicians using synthesizers.

Yes, the file size is tiny, but this doesn't mean it's satisfactory for general distribution. By converting midi to MP3 the sound will be uniform, it can be encoded on video output and played by almost everyone.

The "only" downside to this is that if you want to be able to directly encode and decode midi files you need to use an older version of PTE such as version 5.5.

Best regards,

Lin

:(:o

Igor please don't this work , Midi is the best format to present music backgrond with least size !!!!!!!!!!!!

Mp3 or even wma is largest size than midi , on the otherhand ,what is benefitting in Converting midi to mp3 or wma ?

Does it for supporting mac os and ... in my opinion it's a awful devision , please think a bit igor ....!

Igor,

I believe its a wise decision to abandon use of the Midi file. It is really an outmoded audio format. Plus, since your supplying the ability to convert the midi for use in Pte ... I dont see the issue some users may have.

** I dont believe most midi users were aware that the playback sounded different on other user pcs.

We plan partially rework music code in PicturesToExe for next version to have united code for Windows version and future Mac version.

It would better if we could remove direct support of MIDI files (presented as a separate code in contraposition to united code of MP3/WMA/OGG/WAV playback).

And MIDI almost not used now in slideshows, unpredictable quality depending on sound card or version of Windows. No MIDI in DVD-Video, MP4, AVI output.

No Artist's Opinion And No other opinion ;

please choose meddle's way ;

that is , Adding or embeding or Itegrating Audio Convertor (Mid To All Format Sound)

Without removing support of MidiMusicBackground In PTE.

Isn't it better ?

The purpose of music in a slideshow is to be a compliment to the viewing experience. I would not think that it matters what kind of music file created the sound, as long as the final listening pleasure is achieved. If changing midi to mp3 doesn't make a change in the final listening experience, I would think that there is no problem. Conversion seems good. If this is what it takes to give the P2E experience to MAC owners, then why not? I'm for dropping midi. Go Igor, go!