WnSoft Forums

MOODS OF LAKELAND

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maureen,

Thank you, that was fantastic.

If there is any part of the UK (other than Scotland!) I would like to live it is the Lakes. I visit at least once a year and recognize many of the classic views and was introduced to many new ones.

The standard of photography was breathtaking. I liked the way it flowed with the music. However I have one comment regarding the choice of music and that is that initially it transported me to The Andes and then to the open prairies of North America! I looked up the composer, James Horner and that confirmed my suspicion. Sorry, but I think the music needs looking at but perhaps its just me.

Just one other small point, have you considered changing the order of the B&W transition? Perhaps if the colour came first it might be better.

Very seriously I think it is a lovely show and will be keeping it to look at whenever I feel the urge to get down to The Lakes.

Regards

John

Maureen,

Thank you, that was fantastic.

If there is any part of the UK (other than Scotland!) I would like to live it is the Lakes. I visit at least once a year and recognize many of the classic views and was introduced to many new ones.

The standard of photography was breathtaking. I liked the way it flowed with the music. However I have one comment regarding the choice of music and that is that initially it transported me to The Andes and then to the open prairies of North America! I looked up the composer, James Horner and that confirmed my suspicion. Sorry, but I think the music needs looking at but perhaps its just me.

Just one other small point, have you considered changing the order of the B&W transition? Perhaps if the colour came first it might be better.

Very seriously I think it is a lovely show and will be keeping it to look at whenever I feel the urge to get down to The Lakes.

Regards

John

John - thanks for taking the trouble to reply and for your interesting and useful comments. Initially I tried to give the feeling of a misty, autumn morning and then the build up in music as the pictures flowed. I have to admit that my other half absolutely agrees with what you say but I still like it the way it is. It would be interesting to hear what others may think.

As regards the B&W transition, yes - I should have tried that. It might have worked out better.

Thanks again, John. It's always good to receive feedback.

Maureen

A series of images taken over the last year in the Lake District National Park. It can be found at www.beechbrook.com Grateful thanks to Bill for hosting.

Maureen

Hello Maureen -

Generaly the show was delightful. For me it was carried by the pictures and not the music selection. Some of this comes from the fact that I've used it in my slideshows too. The music is good, but it "feels" too American for scenes of northern Europe. Something with a Irish or Scottish flavor would have worked better for me. But, I've learned, and it took me a while, to go with what you like. I had no idea that music was so subjective, and powerful. In the case of my slideshows, I seldom get dings on the pictures. But, my family is quick to comment on the music I use --it can make or break a show for people.

So, if it works for you, then it's perfect. Everyone is going to have a different ear.

Good work -- keep them coming.

By the way, I still love the music you used in the Greenland show. It is so haunting and right on, for me of course.

Take care,

Dave

Hello Maureen -

Generaly the show was delightful. For me it was carried by the pictures and not the music selection. Some of this comes from the fact that I've used it in my slideshows too. The music is good, but it "feels" too American for scenes of northern Europe. Something with a Irish or Scottish flavor would have worked better for me. But, I've learned, and it took me a while, to go with what you like. I had no idea that music was so subjective, and powerful. In the case of my slideshows, I seldom get dings on the pictures. But, my family is quick to comment on the music I use --it can make or break a show for people.

So, if it works for you, then it's perfect. Everyone is going to have a different ear.

Good work -- keep them coming.

By the way, I still love the music you used in the Greenland show. It is so haunting and right on, for me of course.

Take care,

Dave

Hello Dave

First, thanks for taking the trouble to watch and comment. I first came across this music on one of your shows and absolutely loved it. I looked it up and bought the CD and have had in mind for quite some time that I wanted to put something to it. It's interesting that you, like John, feel it's not right.

When I did my Mull and Iona (islands off the west coast of Scotland) show a couple of months back the music I used was an Irish tune (with an Irish title) but played by a Scottish Pipe Band and the music felt so right to my ears. However, there was criticism that I shouldn't have used an Irish tune to an a/v about Scotland, so I thought I had better not use Irish or Scottish music to an English a/v.

I enjoy selecting the music as much as choosing the pictures and it is often quite a challenge. Sometimes we get it right, other times not. As you say, music - like anything else - is very subjective.

However, taking on board both John's and your comments, I may take another look at this sometime and see if I can come up with something else. It's a fascinating hobby, this one of ours. It's good to get feedback such as this as it can help one to take a step back and try to see and HEAR from another's perspective.

Thanks Dave and pleased you still like the music to the Greenland a/v.

Incidentally, after receiving John's comments about the music I 'googled' it and found that the film was almost entirely shot in the mountains of British Columbia.

Regards

Maureen

Hello Dave

First, thanks for taking the trouble to watch and comment. I first came across this music on one of your shows and absolutely loved it. I looked it up and bought the CD and have had in mind for quite some time that I wanted to put something to it. It's interesting that you, like John, feel it's not right.

Incidentally, after receiving John's comments about the music I 'googled' it and found that the film was almost entirely shot in the mountains of British Columbia.

Maureen -

British Columbia, huh? Shows you what I know about music. :) I find that selecting the right music is much harder than taking usable pictures. I guess that's because I control the picture taking, but not the music. It's no wonder that a film company will have purpose-written music used in their films. I keep telling my kids that my slideshows are coming to an end because I can't find music that I like, and, works with the pictures. I do a lot of listening to Pandora to pick up ideas, and then go to Amazon.com to listen to samples from a given performer. That's how I got a lot of Jay Ungar music that works really well for what I'm trying to do.

Anyway Maureen, because music is so subjective, I wouldn't change a thing because of what John & I said.

Nice chatting with you. Have a good evening.

Dave

Regards

Maureen

A series of images taken over the last year in the Lake District National Park. It can be found at www.beechbrook.com Grateful thanks to Bill for hosting.

Maureen

Maureen, thanks for sharing. The photography and slide production is excellent. This show will remain for sometime on my desktop for future inspiration. Modesty may prevail, but I would like to see a closing slide showing who produced the show, took the photos, where and when etc.------but then I'm somewhat compulsive that way.

Ken

Hi Maureen,

I have just watched your show about the lakes and am compelled to comment.

I agree with the last poster, in that your end credits ought to include a slide giving some details about the who, what and where.

I was inspired by the photographs and now want to visit the area (Ihave never been to the area before) to see it for myself.

Well done and please keep on making these beautiful slide shows to share with us.

Ron West

Maureen:

I very much enjoyed the show. The photography was just stunning. As for the music, to be honest, I was so engrossed in the pictures that I hardly noticed it (except to notice that it didn't seem inappropriate). The only thing I would have loved is a very brief explanation or maybe a map to pinpoint the general area in which the photos were taken (so I could put it on my list of places I'd love to see one day). If you could just give us some details here, that would be great. Thanks for sharing this show!

Hi Maureen,

just to say we really enjoyed the photography, it took us right back to when we (the good lady and I) were at Ambleside in June, although our photography wasn't nearly anywhere as good as yours. I think we'll be going back again next year.

Thanks again for sharing, please keep them coming.

Kind regards

Paul

Hi Maureen,

These are beautiful and inspiring photos and a great presentation! Personally, I agree with you in that I feel that the music was very appropriate for the scenery and settings.

Music transcends geographic borders. Though we have become accustomed to identifying breathy flutes with Peru and the Andes, Native American Indian flute with America, pipes with Scotland, the harp and lute with Celtic, etc., I believe it's due time we put aside geographic, ethnic and cultural differences and realize that today we truly have a world audience who can appreciate blends of music from many venues and the feelings these sounds engender, without necessarily identifying the source and expecting to see images from specific geographic localities associated with same. It's simply the "conditioning" we have had from the movie industry which has caused a degree of "bonding" to particular musical themes which permeates our psyche and causes these feelings of appropriateness or not for musical selections rather than listening for the feelings evoked by the music juxtaposed to the images presented.

In short, I very much enjoy the show as it is with only the suggestion that you might consider hiding the mouse cursor during the show since there is no real need for it and it "can" appear depending on the particular position the cursor may occupy on one's individual computer at the time the show begins.

Best regards,

Lin

Barry - in every a/v I have done I use 72 dpi, apart from Moods of Lakeland where I had to resize a number which had been taken on a different camera. These were then at 240 dpi.

Maureen

What I meant was the resolution of the images 1024*768 ????

Maureen:

I very much enjoyed the show. The photography was just stunning. As for the music, to be honest, I was so engrossed in the pictures that I hardly noticed it (except to notice that it didn't seem inappropriate). The only thing I would have loved is a very brief explanation or maybe a map to pinpoint the general area in which the photos were taken (so I could put it on my list of places I'd love to see one day). If you could just give us some details here, that would be great. Thanks for sharing this show!

Hi Mary

All of the photos were taken in the Lake District National Park which is in Cumbria in the north-west of England. It's a fairly compact area of lakes and mountains and very beautiful.

If and when you decide to come, please contact me and I would be only too pleased to advise of places to visit.

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

These are beautiful and inspiring photos and a great presentation! Personally, I agree with you in that I feel that the music was very appropriate for the scenery and settings.

Music transcends geographic borders. Though we have become accustomed to identifying breathy flutes with Peru and the Andes, Native American Indian flute with America, pipes with Scotland, the harp and lute with Celtic, etc., I believe it's due time we put aside geographic, ethnic and cultural differences and realize that today we truly have a world audience who can appreciate blends of music from many venues and the feelings these sounds engender, without necessarily identifying the source and expecting to see images from specific geographic localities associated with same. It's simply the "conditioning" we have had from the movie industry which has caused a degree of "bonding" to particular musical themes which permeates our psyche and causes these feelings of appropriateness or not for musical selections rather than listening for the feelings evoked by the music juxtaposed to the images presented.

In short, I very much enjoy the show as it is with only the suggestion that you might consider hiding the mouse cursor during the show since there is no real need for it and it "can" appear depending on the particular position the cursor may occupy on one's individual computer at the time the show begins.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

Thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed the show.

It's so good to know that someone else feels the way I do about music. For me, if it feels right then it IS right.

I have already sorted out the mouse problem on an a/v I have justed started to sort.

Best wishes

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

just to say we really enjoyed the photography, it took us right back to when we (the good lady and I) were at Ambleside in June, although our photography wasn't nearly anywhere as good as yours. I think we'll be going back again next year.

Thanks again for sharing, please keep them coming.

Kind regards

Paul

Hi Paul - glad you enjoyed it. Ambleside is pretty busy (and wet!) at the moment.

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

Thought I would add my comments to the others.

Just great, it gives a sense mood & atmoshpere and some of the images are stunning.

Sums up the area for me.

Music is fine for my taste.

One comment I would make is, IMHO you should ditch the Mono slide as I feel it does nothing to enhance the sequence.

I think you have a similar style to myself and iF you get a moment free visit my web site rawlandscapes.co.uk and look at THE PROMISED LAND

Thanks for sharing John.

Hi Maureen,

Best regards,

Lin

I like this kind of conversation that brings out the different opinions without asserting "right or wrong." Very interesting. Agreeing Lin, with your assessment, I would just add - I think the cementing of music to particular images, views, etc. came about via MTV! I think for many viewers, the flashy/slashy video imprinted on the minds so strongly that the music was impossible to separate for those that had watched!

So I think Maureen, I would I would hesitate to change your music unless you conclude that it detracts from your AV. I think even those commenting that it seemed "out of place", would not claim it detracts. Personally, more and more, I try to judge my own photography as I would judge a dog. That is - does my dog, or my photo, do what I want it to do ? I think this may also work well for our AV efforts.

Hi all but particularly Maureen.

I am beginning to feel somewhat guilty having started all of this off. Let me start by reiterating that I thoroughly enjoyed your images but was and remain distracted by the music.

I am relatively new to this hobby but to state the obvious, understand that there are two aspects (Audio & Images) which should be given consideration, though perhaps not in equal measure.

Beauty is in the eye (and perhaps ear) of the beholder.

I totally accept that we,l as individuals, make our shows for different reasons at different times. Sometimes to please ourselves, sometimes to please a wider audience and that is when it gets tricky. For whatever reason we are inspired to make, or perhaps I should say create, an AV we are, I suspect, driven by our emotions. I guess in most cases it is the visual aspect that is the catalyst, whether it is a landscape, flower or piece of industrial machinery like a steam train. Sometimes it may be a piece of music or perhaps even a sound effect (though that does stretch even my imagination) that sets us off. I suspect that most people in this game come from a visual background so perhaps we should pay a bit more attention to the music aspect. I think it may be possible that we forget or ignore the emotions that inspired the composer to write their music. These impulses are likely, I guess, to have been very similar to those that inspired the photographer to capture their image. If that is so then surely we are duty bound to consider this when mixing the two elements.

Lin, I find it difficult to accept your theoretical view regarding cultural or ethnic aspects of music. It is far too clinical a view for me. Nice in theory but impractical in reality and perhaps even disrespectful to the composer and the culture it represents.

I am conscious that I have a record of hijacking topics so if a moderator wishes to move this elsewhere please feel free!

Finally Maureen as I said in my original post your images are “fantastic”. I'll be down in the Lakes later this year and looking forward to it immensely as ever.

Regards

John

Reading this thread has prompted me to add something to it.

I find myself agreeing with Jeb and his assessment of Maureens show. The images are great and the whole show with it's current music works pretty well and I enjoyed viewing it as have many others. However, I think it could work a whole lot better with a different choice of music. I was also transported to other parts of the world rather than Cumbria in the UK while watching it, but perhaps it doesn't help that I know The Lakes pretty well myself.

Jeb made another point that there are only two aspects of AV, audio and visual and perhaps we do need to give the sound side more attention. Jeb is right that we mostly all come from a photography background and the quality of our images should be accepted. No matter how stunning the images are, the wrong music will kill the appeal of the show without a doubt.

Once we have one show made and all the hard work is done, it isn't so hard to try a couple of different types or styles of music with the same images. We don't have to programe the whole show to get a flavour of how the new music will work, but worth a try. When more than one person gets the same feel from the show there is a chance that many others will too.

The one thing I find over and over again is that to find the right peice of music you often need a lot of music to choose from. I try and listen to potential music for a show as I am getting the images prepared and that often helps. However, I have 36 copyright free albums at my disposal and there are times when I am struggling to find something that I think is perfect for the images and the mood.