WnSoft Forums

Aspect Ratio and Fit to Slide/Cover Slide options

Igor

49 members have voted

1. 1. What aspect ratio should be choosen by default?

• 4:3
    • 16:9
    • 3:2
    • Other
  2. 2. What mode should be choosen by default for main image?

• Fit to slide
    • Cover slide

Please answer on two questions above.

I'm looking for best default values of these options in future version.

Also we plan to add a new option for main images to the Project options | Defaults tab - "Fit to slide" and "Cover slide". This option will be applied automatically for new slides.

Thanks to all members for your comments!

The results are very interesting and clear.

We can change default aspect ratio for new projects to 16:9 in future version.

"Cover slide" option for main images will appear in future version.

I have made my choices but would ask that the 16x10 format should also be retained as an option.

Essential for MAC users!

16:10 is more rare format and I think it should not be suggested by default. For this reason I moved it to answer "Other".

I use the 16x10 format all the time because it is the format of my computer screen, and I don't have to cut off to much of the 2x3 images from my camera. I use it also When projecting at my camera club. Please keep it available as a format, not necessary as default.

Thanks

Bert

I use the 16x10 format all the time because it is the format of my computer screen, and I don't have to cut off to much of the 2x3 images from my camera. I use it also When projecting at my camera club. Please keep it available as a format, not necessary as default.

Thanks

Bert

I'll second that, 16x10 ratio is used much more than people think for the reasons stated by Bert above. 16x9 loses far too much of the captured image from 3x2 format of most DSLR cameras.

Geoff

Is it not possible to make both of these OPTIONS into PREFERENCES??
It's better in the project options ...

Igor put a lot of effort into sorting out the "Preferences" and the "Project Options" when creating v7.5. Right now we have a very clear distinction: Preferences are settings that persist across all usage of PTE, Project Options are settings that are unique to each project. We must strive to maintain that clear distinction. Therefore I agree with Aginum on this point. These are options that apply at the individual sequence (i.e. project) level. They are not options that should persist across all usage of PTE.

They could, of course, occur in both places: as a Preference that will apply every time PTE is used and as a Project Option, which overrides that Preference for just this project. That might be the "best of both worlds".

regards,

PGA

As all the formats are now in the options, works fine for me. I have made a template with all the settings that I want to use when starting a new show. I also would like the "fit to slide" and "cover slide" in the options.

Regards

Bert

My reasoning:

Most of us PREFER the 16:9 AR to be the Default.

Some (Bert, Geoff, Maureen) would perhaps PREFER the 16:10 AR to be the Default.

Is it therefore not a matter of Preference?

I won't labour the point but that is the way I see it.

DG.

I tend to use 16:10 because it is the nearest to the 3:2 dimensions of my Canon dslr. I find that 16:9 is just a wee bit too long and narrow for my liking.

However, it's a momentary thing to select the aspect ratio when commencing a new show, so the default setting really doesn't matter to me.

Fit to slide seems to be the general choice, but again, it's so easy to change that I consider it unimportant.

I could make a case for having no default at all, so users would be required to always make a choice when starting a show. At least the trap of starting a show without checking what the format is would be avoided. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Colin

It would seem to me not to be terribly important which "default" aspect ratio is chosen. There is a natural conflict because display manufacturers seem to be "primarily" fixated on HD which is 16:9 or 1920x1080 for for desktop displays, while notebooks seem to take a different standard. Neither are "correct" for the "majority" of our professional level digital cameras which are generally 3:2 with the exception of Olympus (4/3rd system) which are 4:3. Some of the newer dSLR's give a choice so the user can shoot in wide angle if desired, and most video modes are 16:9. Most of the bridge cameras support several aspect ratios but the actual "sensor" is generally different in native aspect ratio from the typical display.

The issue is, that as photographers, we must constantly shoot "wide" or else use one of the alternative aspect ratios when available. Either way, we loose parts of our capture in order to make our images "fit" the display. Lack of standards across industries make it frustrating at times. When we have a zoom lens, it's not so much of a problem, but when we have a prime lens, it can be discouraging to lose important parts of our image to the crop to make it fit the available display device.

Bottom line is that most of us will change whatever the "default" is at one time or another so I can't see that it's terribly important to change it from the way it is now...

Best regards,

Lin

Guest Yachtsman1

It seems to me that from what people are saying in this thread, it's not too important what is set as default, but it is important that all choices remain available.

Geoff

You are correct Geoff, it's been 4-3 since I started in 07, I moved on to 5-4 for a couple of years, now I use 16-9. It's no hardship setting to what I want, however, there's always a however :D/>/> I would like to see as many alternatives as possible, which would satisfy all comers, camera clubs using portrait or landscape, wedding photographers using different ratios, etc etc. personally I don't see anything wrong with what I have at present. Constantly changing for changing sake doesn't go down well for those of us using menus & having to re-make shows to suit the current format before they can be used in a menu :angry:/>/> I suppose there must be a technical reason for Igor raising the subject :unsure:/>/>

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-42299700-1364023525_thumb.jp

Bonjour,

Personnellement, le choix du format par défaut n'a pas d'importance....

Par contre il me semble important de pouvoir choisir le "Mode" par défaut dans les Options du projet

Pourquoi ?

Mes images sont en format 3:2 . Pour un format 16:9, je ne les coupe pas mais je les mets, une par une, en Mode Cover Slide dans Objets et Animation, ce qui permet de recadrer l'image.

post-6892-0-17494700-1364030805_thumb.jp

Hello,

Personally, the choice of the default format does not matter ....

By cons it seems important to choose the "Mode" by default ((in Project Options)

Why?

My pictures are 3:2. For 16:9, I do not cut but I put them, one by one, in Mode Cover Slide Objects and Animation, which can crop the image.

Hello Charlie,

I do not understand your point.

For me, the size of the slide is fixed by the size of the support displaying the image, in the past that was 3/2 for diapositives, then it comes 4/3 wich was compatible with TV screen (768x576) and PC screens (1024x768), nowadays the most current standard for videoprojectors, LCD TV screens and even a lot of PC screens is 1920x1080px (2K) waiting for 4K in the future when h265 codec will be able to be twice more efficient than h264 today in order to be able to transmit the video signal in the same frequency bandwith without modifying the network infrastructure.

So whatever the definition of your picture, it should fit the screen height (1080px ) and so the width of the picture on the screen will depend on the camera format

4/3 => 1440x1080px

3/2 => 1620x1080px

16/10 =>1728x1080px

16/9 =>1920x1080px

Except for 16/9, in all other cases you will get black side bands of pixels but the advantage of selecting 16/9 screen size option is that you can dress theses two side bands yourself as you want and you can avoid to leave them balck.

Concerning fit to slide or cover slide options, in both cases you can modify and crop your image as you want but for my point of view it is more convenient to keep with fit to slide which should avoid croping errors if the 16/9 screen size has been selected by default.

Personnaly I consider this option must remain as an option linked to the image object within O&A and not fixed for all images within project options.

Best regards

Daniel