WnSoft Forums

Online activation

Igor

Hello,

In PicturesToExe 8.0.9 we added the following change:

PicturesToExe automatically connects to the Internet and sends your license key to WnSoft website. License key is being sent in an encrypted form (hash). PicturesToExe doesn't send your email address, or name, or IP address, or any other personal information.

With online license validation we can reduce possible piracy and block stolen keys. And this solution may improve sales of PicturesToExe.

If you have any questions, please ask me.

Update:

If there is no Internet connection, PicturesToExe activates automatically. In other words, PicturesToExe will work with all functions (as any previous version).

PicturesToExe connects with WnSoft website only once - when user enters a new license key, or on the first run (if a key was already loaded earlier).

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Igor

Does that mean if I download 9, every time I open it, it automatically connects to the internet. Personally I don't think that would be well received, there are some on here that never connect their computers to the internet, or keep one machine specifically for PTE. Also if that is the case, there are so many instances of systems such as you suggest being hacked & personal date being stolen.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Igor,

What happens if the buyer doesn't have internet? Some PTE users here in the US do not always have access to the internet. I know at least two PTE users who travel extensively living in motorhomes and may only have internet access once or twice a month. Does this new activation process actuate each time they open PTE on their systems or is it only for the initial activation when they purchase or upgrade PTE?

Best regards,

Lin

Guest Yachtsman1

Another downer is for users of pay as you go internet time, I can't see anyone wanting to use 8.0.9 who is having to pay for every minute they use the programme.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

In testing it, it does not appear to "phone home" once activated - so apparently only on initial activation. It should work fine off-line for those who use PTE on non-internet systems, but the system must be connected to the internet when upgraded or with new installation.

UPDATE: Igor has said that in the absence of internet, PTE will activate so no need for concern at all.

Best regards,

Lin

In my opinion there should be a means of activation offline as most other companies offer. There is still some resentment for the reneging on the lifetime updates promise, and this will not help re-build users trust in Wnsoft. (I know and appreciate the reasons for this)

PicturesToExe 8.0.9 connects with WnSoft website only once - when user enters a new license key, or on the first run (if key was already loaded earlier).

Internet connection is NOT required. If you don't have Internet connection, PicturesToExe will work as usual. We understand that not all computers have Internet connection.

Probably we'll add offline activation method later.

PicturesToExe 8.0.9 doesn't send any personal information - only encrypted license key (hash).

Many software products use online activation. For example, Proshow products, Office, Windows, Adobe products, etc.

Igor

No problem at all from me, its no different to what we do in many other areas without issue.

NB

Added later.. Igor, but you are up against those who wrongly believe that they have to pay with their band width all the time they are using PTE. How you get around that nonsense is beyond me

We tried to implement online activation as possible simple to avoid any problems.

Hello Igor

What happens if we have pte running on 2 pc at home?

Eric,

No problem, PicturesToExe can be used on 2 computers of one user.

Peter,

Usually this system called "Online activation", because "Online registration" is often mean filling of questionnaire of a customer (optionally). Of course, I'm not expert, probably I'm wrong.

Igor

I really like the way Photoshop CC works in that you can install the CC products you have purchased on as many computers as you like, but you can only use them on two at a time. This requires the ability to sign out and de-activate the copies of the software to allow this to happen. If you are signed in on two computers and then open up a third, the fact you are going over your 2 PC limit is picked up. However, you get the ability via your username and password to sign out of those other computers even remotely, that could be miles away, or as in my case recently, in another country.

Very fair, very convenient and works well in my experience

Igor.

Yes, an internet connection will be required, but only to touch base so to speak. Lets suppose I am at home and have Photoshop CC activated on my PC and my wife's PC. No problems, both version work when launched.

I then take my laptop on holiday as I did recently and launch Photoshop on the laptop. It recognises that I already used my two activations and gives me the opportunity to remotely sign out of the other computers so the laptop can be used. It's very convenient to be able to do that. I can have Photoshop on my PC, my wife's PC, the old PC in another room I use to record tutorials and on my laptop. I can only use it on two PC's at any one time, but I haven't mastered how to use more than one computer at a time yet anyway :)

It just seems like a very fair and logical way of working and incidentally that would include Mac versions of the software too. So, if I had 2 PC's and 2 Macs, I could install the software on all four machines, but only activate and use it on any two, which could be one Mac and one PC

I have just tested that particular scenario. I have Photoshop CC launched and running on 2 PC's here and then I fired up the third one I use to record tutorials, but I isolated the Internet connection first.

When I fired up Photoshop on the third PC the panel attached opened up giving me 4 days before I had to stop using PS on that machine or connect to the internet and sign out of one of the others. If I knew in advance (travelling etc) that an internet connection may not be available as I didn't when travelling to the UK, I de-activated my usual PCc's before I left home and then I get no messages or warnings at all.

To be able to use the third machine for a few days seems very fair to me and prevents someone being left completely in the lurch if they have forgotten to deactivate their other PC's or temporarily don't have an internet connection. As you know, its not that hard to find a connection somewhere, especially for the short time you would need it in this situation.

post-671-0-39103200-1417251283_thumb.jpg