WnSoft Forums

Maximum Number of Images

silkspooky

If you compute the number of slides that are shown every 5 seconds (the defaut in PTE ; I tend to choose 6 seconds instead), for a total show duration of 45 minutes (the maximum endurance of my audience!), then you need only 540 slides.  This is not counting the actual "objects" in each slide, but gives a rough idea of a "reasonable" figure.

Dave G.

I live in Nice, South of France, and about once a month there are two places nearby where travel photos and some videos are shown to the public, projected on a big screen together with music and description of the places visited; each of these shows lasts a total of about an hour and a half, with a short interval in the middle.  These slide shows are given by a traveller after one or several trips to various areas in the world.  
The current program for the "Rendez-vous des Voyageurs", in Villeneuve-Loubet, can be found on: http://www.voyageurs06.fr/jeudi.htm
The other venue is in Beausoleil, where the "Club des Reporters" hosts similar sessions to which I have contributed in the past (New-Zealand, Northern Vietnam, American Wild West, ...).  This is organised by my photo club "Beausoleil Ciné Photo Club"; A summary of past events can be found on: http://www.photoclubbeausoleil.sitew.fr/#Club_des_Reporters.K

You're welcome to attend these sessions, as they are are open to the public.  Unfortunately, these shows are not broadcast or available on YouTube or other such channels.

I think the new born photographers not understand (deliberate they do not understand?) big difference from “movie” or "brodcast television" and a “slideshow" is it a stellar difference. Why? Simply because the human psicology of attention is different, again, of a movie or streaming in 24/25 fps more or less. Slideshow ( never Power-Point or Keynote ) built of strategy of total emotion on “fix” image, in dissolvence fade in-fade out (phantom named third image). Images fix and fit-in consciuse and in-consciuse.
In other hand the power, impossible for movie and television, of slide show is it innate "fascinazione"  (The medium is the message,  McLuhan) and with a great track soud is impossible, again, for other media. Remember i-m-p-o-s-s-i-b-l-e. Only  "static photos" make a miracle like a Genesis. And time of show as international rule for projection is max 15'. After this time "fall" attention of spectators. PTE Exe (Platium Wings, M.objects and other) is not Final Cut Premiere or Da Vinci and more. 
Cinema oops slideshow? Like an Italian caffé or pure Rite (PTE Exe) and water with drops of caffeine...american coffee (FINAL CUT AND ETC). Taste? No, essence of life with allure.

Ps. For a “slideshow” as a episode in movie/television scrren script is NECESSARY a storyboard (I wrote in the past to Staff Pte for a "report" project as Excell images-text-sounds-effetcs-time or exactly a french old program avec allure to make a storyboard/screen play for a big show). Only this step is itpossible a  "godibile" show.

Pss. Here a slideshow (court métrage?) with less than ten images/  shoot; in the case patience if write italian because I make it for to     denounce a case of Mafia in Heritage italian  (in Italy exists not only Colosseum...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE5mV2C6Ido

Ghulya photographer since 1969   

Just for information,

For the 18th birthday of my grand son, I ve made (only for a family purpose !) a report of all the souvenirs that all family members had gathered about him. I did not try to make an exe file but I created an HD video of one hour duration. Everybody expected it was even a bit longer...

I built it up thanks to PTE 9.0.18 :

66 video-clips (most of them where AVCHD shots converted to avi by PTE video converter + mkv + mpeg + mp4 ; total = 7,45 Go)
52 mp3 music files total 294 Mo (often I used only extracts of few seconds in order to illustrate the events )
581 photos jpg and some png (1,4Go)
Total = 699 files for an amount of 9,14Go

Daniel

Hi Daniel

The acceptable duration of the slide show really depends upon the interest of the intended audience, that's for sure.

Concerning the file size, I thought PTE on 32 bits was limited to a maximum resulting file size of 3.9 GBytes (= Go or Giga octets, in French).  The limit with PTE-8 was more 2 GB for an EXE file, I seem to recall.  The total file size of 9.14 GB that you quote seems big ; is that for the resulting MP4 file or the full size video-clips before further clipping and downsizing?

On 2/18/2019 at 12:42 PM, Tonton Bruno said:

For me, as a spectator, a PTE slide show with a good sound track (voice, music and sound effects) with a duration of 5 minutes, it's OK.

10 minutes is too long and I stop the project before the end, or I leave the show-room if I can.

If I can't leave my chair, I start to speak with my neibours.

It depends on the kind of AV show we are speaking about. If there is no interest for the spectator, even if the sound track is good 2mn is too long !

On 2/18/2019 at 11:45 AM, jmG-06100 said:

Hi Daniel

The acceptable duration of the slide show really depends upon the interest of the intended audience, that's for sure.

Concerning the file size, I thought PTE on 32 bits was limited to a maximum resulting file size of 3.9 GBytes (= Go or Giga octets, in French).  The limit with PTE-8 was more 2 GB for an EXE file, I seem to recall.  The total file size of 9.14 GB that you quote seems big ; is that for the resulting MP4 file or the full size video-clips before further clipping and downsizing?

You're right, that is the reason why I said, that I did not try to make an exe file but PTE works perfectly  creating an HD video. So  to answer your question 9,14Go corresonds to the total size of the project folder including all components (photos, pictures, audio and video clips) I used within this project.

For those who want to make some kind of lecture like "Connaissance du monde" mixing different digital components, PTE is a very good choice.

But I agree, in this case PTE is no longer the right choice for the product name, PTE/HD should be better. See the dedicated thread on this subject.

Daniel

7 minutes ago, Picsel said:

It depends on the kind of AV show we are speaking about. If there is no interest for the spectator, even if the sound track is good 2mn is too long !

The interest vraries for each spectator, and even for the same spectator the interest varies with days and seasons.

This is why you should try to not be longer than 10 minutes. You would have a chance to catch the attention of a maximum of spectators, and it is a kind of respect for the time of each spectator. I consider it is strongly impolite to speak during more than 10 minutes without knowing if what you are saying is realy interesting for the person who is in front of you.

On 2/17/2019 at 2:14 AM, davegee said:

Where can we find one of these 45 minute shows?

DG

I have at least a dozen (I think without counting) that are over 45 minutes, although I have created each of those as standalone and as shorter sections as well.  I likely have (guessing) 30  or so that would be 20 minutes or more.   All the rest, (quite a few) are 3-10 min--most being closer to 3 than 10.   My personal attention span for things that do not grip me is ridiculously short, so I strongly favor short shows. I am, however, like a monkey drawn to shiny objects, easily gripped by good shows.

Not once has anyone gone to sleep or mentioned a word about length of my 45+ min hows other than asking for more shows.  All but a couple of these longer shows also include a fair amount of video (10-20%??). 

I do not present to camera clubs.  That is not my thing.  But in my experience, ideal show duration is a function of the following considerations:

1. Is the show sizzle-whiz-bang entertainment using startling photography effects, photoshop drama or amazing motions or illusions?  Then you have 3-5 minutes. I may or may not close it sooner, although I have a childlike weakness for spinning cubes, falling snow and other special effects produced by some forum members--I watch them with autistic interest, however long they are.

2. Is the show artistic photography (such as photography clubs)?  Then, duration depends on artist skill and audience interest in the subject.  You have 5-10 minutes.

3. Is the show instructive or educational?  Then you have as long as you need to tell how to do something.  You have 1-60 min.  Less with only still images.

4. Is the show telling a story of a documentary?   Then the subject, content and audience are all factors but you likely have 5-90 minutes.  

5. Is the show an advertisement such as listicle, aggregator, countdown, essay, gallery, etc?  Then you have 10-90 seconds.

6. Is the show a diaporama?  Then you have 10-90 min.

7. Is the show a background, for example, a wedding reception? Then you may have 3 hours. (I made one of those a couple years ago)

For the record, I hate arbitrary (personal whim) rules.  I love what works--what brings happiness or call-to-action or inspiration to people. I