WnSoft Forums

Version 7.0. News of development

Igor

We have a good progress with development of the next version 7.0 of PicturesToExe.

I expect appearance of first public beta version in January.

Support of video clips on slides took significant time. But we're trying implement this feature to PicturesToExe at highest level with smooth playback on wide range of PCs. It's a joy for me to see video in real time in PicturesToExe's slideshow with any effects - 3D transformations, Masks, Pan/Zoom/Rotate, etc.

Due to complex work with video, probably we will delay advanced audio editing (global timeline with waveforms) for version 7.5. We didn't expect that video support will take so much time.

Also version 7.0 will bring vastly improved picture quality. Two new features will appear for this. And they are already finished.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Igor excellent and great news.

PTE is a spirit to overcome enormous cape and we owe it to yourself and your team.

Personally, I look forward to finally test this new version that I'm on a lot of people delight.

That's up to you to keep us informed of your progress

Thank you Mr. Kokarev

Igor,

I agree with previous replies that this is excellent news. I am sure many amongst the ranks will welcome the opportunity to pull together the power of the photographic image with a short appropriate video clip. In fact I am sure many PTE users already animate to create Psuedo video effects.

I'm ready to do some testing!!!!!

This is good news and I expect that the 'Video Buffs' are getting excited now.

It is interesting to note that Igor is expecting to increase the quality of images, I think that this is exceptional news because the quality is already the best in the industry.

Igor and his team are to be congratulated!

Ron

I agree with Yachtsman1 that finishing the latest audio features (as we all know there are many things to improve here) should have come before these new video features. Finnish the unfinished work first.

It worries me that, now video has more interest then the (unfinished) audio part, we have to wait until all upcomming video-, pictures-, and slides-bugs, problems and wishes will be solved first. When will PtE 7.5 with the announced and prommissed audio features be released?

Kind regards,

André

André,

Please explain in more details why you think that audio features are not finished in current version? Version 6.5 has many new audio features that you can successfully use already now. It's infinite process - improvements of existing audio features and adding of new audio features. I have plans for many new audio improvements for at least several future versions.

Video does not have more high priority than audio for us. Please see my two posts above.

... finishing the latest audio features (as we all know there are many things to improve here) should have come before these new video features ..

André,

I have some doubts that this would be a good strategy. Presently, I have some discussions with a group of AV-newcomers on purchasing AV software. All serious competitors offer video integration. So, from the marketing point of view, the video feature seems to be a very important one.

Regards,

Xaver

Igor,

The audio features that are implemented today themselfs are very nice, but difficult to work with and to keep the overview. So I like to see a more integrated interface to make it easier to see how (parts of) audio tracks interfere with the slides, something like m-objects for example. Others have mentioned this too. There where many discussions about this subject on the forum.

And after reading this:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12402&st=0&p=79874&hl=development&fromsearch=1entry79874

and especialy this:

Enhanced timeline

The timeline display will be given a major re-write so that it can support the display of multiple audio files.

I was convinced that this key feature would be integrated in V 7.0 and that was something to wait for. Now it is not implemented I call the audio part in PtE "unfinished".

Support of video clips on slides took significant time. But we're trying implement this feature to PicturesToExe at highest level with smooth playback on wide range of PCs. It's a joy for me to see video in real time in PicturesToExe's slideshow with any effects - 3D transformations, Masks, Pan/Zoom/Rotate, etc.

Due to complex work with video, probably we will delay advanced audio editing (global timeline with waveforms) for version 7.5. We didn't expect that video support will take so much time.

And that is what worries me so much, because it will take quite some time to make video and pictures run together just as perfect as we are use to.

Kind regards,

André

I suspect that each person using PTE could point to one or another area where they, personally, would like to see something slightly different or changed. That's the nature of human/software interaction.

From the perspective of a software developer (I spent many years doing just this) it's impossible to please everyone. The best one can do is to try to implement changes and upgrades to continually refine one's product and keep it at the forefront of products of its type. For PTE to achieve and hold the position of price/performance leader it's paramount that certain features be implemented. The one area which has held PTE back in past years is its inability to include video clips as an integrated part of the product.

We, as users of PTE, must keep in mind that in order for us to continue to enjoy this fine product, the development team absolutely must sell product. The market for PTE is much wider than the AV enthusiast. The market includes not only those who use the product for competitive purposes, but also the much larger market of the casual slideshow maker who simply wants to create a pleasant show for family and friends, and whether all of us like the idea or not, video is extremely important in that scenario and video is here to stay. Even major dSLR camera makers realize this and have included video in a number of their professional level instruments.

The bottom line is that from a business perspective, the time to include video capabilities is here and Wnsoft absolutely "must" respond to this now. As Igor has stated very plainly, development is an ongoing process and there are plans for continual improvements in the audio section as well as in the image quality and video.

Right now - today - we can use the very fine audio capabilities of PTE and if they are not enough, we can always use freeware audio editors such as Audacity to achieve our goals. Might it be somewhat inconvenient? Of course. Are there areas where audio improvements will make PTE a much better product? Of course. But the bottom line is that today there is no viable work-around for video with PTE. There is no "magic" potion which the user can implement to include video in any integrated way into our slideshows. Yes, many who frequent this forum don't really care about video. On the other hand - that huge market out there for new customers demands video or they will simply go to the competition which has it.

PTE is a unique product. It gives the financially challenged user (that includes many of us who are long time PTE enthusiasts) a product which can do 95% of what it would take many thousands of dollars, Euro's, etc., to achieve with high priced competitive products such as Wings. We should be eternally grateful to Igor and the development team for giving us ways to do things with ease, which are incredibly difficult to achieve with competitive products including with very expensive competitive products.

Let's be patient and let Igor and Wnsoft employees do their jobs and do what's best for the company. In the end we all benefit and we all will eventually see continued benefits. Where else can you purchase a product of this type with a "free lifetime upgrade policy?" For that matter, there are few products of any type with this type of advantage. With what other slideshow product can your input as a user be seriously considered, usually implemented, and a product created which contains the very features which the user base asks for? In my experience; none.

In my opinion, we should stop nit-picking and let the development team get on with the job of improving an already terrific product............

Best regards,

Lin

... I was convinced that this key feature would be integrated in V 7.0 and that was something to wait for. Now it is not implemented I call the audio part in PtE "unfinished" ...

André,

If I would take only my own personal preferences into account, I had to agree with your position. On the other hand, I often try to convince people in Germany to use PTE, but this always turns out to be a very hard job. Lin is right, saying that the market demands the video integration, and this is a crucial point which does not allow any delay. When I looked at the list of new features ( http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12402&view=findpost&p=79874 ) for the first time, I got the impression that it presented a very optimistic view: Video Integration and a new User Interface, both at the same time! Therefore I am not that disappointed, now.

Regards,

Xaver

Guest Yachtsman1

I've had 24 hours to think about my original post, but I must stand by it. We waited months for audio manipulation to be introduced, I for one was very disappointed when it did arrive at the complication compared to what I had been using, as I suspect the silent majority were. This action moving onto another feature, video while ignoring the difficulty of the current audio function is a retrograde step IMHO and will not help the sales of PTE.

Yachtsman1. :ph34r:

LIn.

Yes, I agree and well said. I find myself thinking of that old saying. The end line of which is, you can't please all of the people, all of the time.

Welcome back, by the way.

I doubt I will use video much in my slide shows, but once I see the HD video clips with HD images, I might change my mind. Video clips have to be introduced next.

Eric

Why is it always you I feel the need to reply to. What do you mean, that you waited months for audio manipulation to be introduced and then you were disappointed. No-one else was!

In the middle of november you said I don't use PTE's sound adjustment feature I use Audacity which is simplicity itself once you are familiar with the programme, and enables me to use my artistic take.

I am sure in another thread you also said you had not installed version 6.5. You said you wouldn't until it was fully signed off. Whatever that means.

Are you confused or is it me?

Xaver, Lin, Igor,

Like you and all others on this forum I think PtE is a terrific product and I do understand why video implementation, as you mentioned, is very important. And so is the audio part I was refering to, the user interface and all other things that are anounced and on wishlists. Yes, if I could choose in what order things would be implemented .... But I am not a marketing expert.

I am very greatfull with PtE as it is developing and will have more patience the next time when things are not the way I was hoping for.

Kind regards,

André

Guest Yachtsman1

When I bought my latest camera system (Nikon D5000), I didn't buy it because it had video, I bought it to improve my digital photography.

The DSLR manufacturers have jumped onto the video bandwagon in a hope it will interest a larger audience and make more money. I had video on a Fuji camera before I went DSLR, the quality was poor & there was no sound. I haven't tried the video on my D5000, if I wanted to use video I could buy a dedicated video camera of reasonable quality for a third of the cost of the Nikon system.

I did consider a couple of years ago, giving up still photography and going over to video, but after pricing up the best camera I could afford by selling off my conventional stuff, plus the cost of the video software & the specification of the computer hardware I would need to produce video's comparable to my PTE shows, I decided to stay with conventional photography. (Can't afford both).

In response to BBD's comments, I seem to remember him jumping on his soapbox decrying animation & stating "why don't you buy a video camera if you want moving pictures" when describing someones efforts at animation. Yet another case of him calling the kettle black, or rabble rousing. Maybe a poll with the subject "Which do you want first fully functional audio or video would clarify things? Although past experience of polls doesn't give the true picture.

IMHO video is just another gimmick, a sound manipulation system equal to Audacity would be more suitable.

I've just remembered a post I made when I first learned how to use Audacity, suggesting "Wnsoft buy it & & incorporate it into PTE" ;) .

Yachtsman1

Eric

But a poll is of little use here Eric, because what they would reflect would have litle meaning

We are all enthusiasts and despite what we may think, We are not typical users. PTE, has to appeal to wider audience than just us.

The only gripe I have with animation, is there seems to be little sense used in applying it. In many cases, It seems to be applied in a vain attempt to improve the appeal of lack lustre images. You can move the picture all over the screen and it will not improve your image one bit.

Anything used with skill and imagination, probably with a degree of moderation, will work in the right circumstances.

Imagine a shot of a leafy glade, maybe an autumn scene, where a great still shot suddenly fades into an identical image, shot in video. ( HD of course). Now, that could look rather good. I can think of a few scenarios where a few seconds of video may be worth considering.

However, if you try using stills to capture some natural movement scenes, it generally fails miserably, with just the odd exception.

Guest Yachtsman1

As this post aroused my curiosity I checked my camera's manual to see what I could expect from the video from a mid range top manufacturers video. After having read what it says, it only goes to reinforce my original thoughts, manufacturers have only included it to keep up with the rat race that fills the camera industry.

I still feel PTE users would benefit from a sound editing system akin to audacity. Pictures below from my D5000 manual video instructions.

Yachtsman1

post-5560-075100800 1291986349_thumb.jpg

post-5560-008050700 1291986374_thumb.jpg

post-5560-048635100 1291986395_thumb.jpg

ERIC

if you were working on your van and suddenly discovered that things would not work the way you had planned, and had to rip it all out -- we would hear your howl in the colonies

-- now Igor has quite likely discovered that something was not going to mesh down the road so he has had to regroup before he has a very deep hole to dig himself out of

at least he told us of his plans -- now he likely wishes he had not mad.gif

ken cool.gif

Hi, Igor and all PTE fellows,

Next week, 2 years have past since I discovered PTE.

As you can see in my profile I always "worked" with film and video, starting with the old 8mm and Super8, than with Sony Betamax and Video8, than with analogic miniDV, and digital DV at last. Family films and short documentaries always were my only job.

However, I always took my photos as well. Over 10 thousand slides and some large kilometers of film and video... is my curriculum as a job!

The reason why my films and videos always were my big priority (editing and showing) is because I never searched for a slideshow software, I didn't even know they existed, never thought on this. My movie editing software (actually AVID LIQUID 7.2) was more than enough to enjoy my job and give some joy to my family and friends as well.

2 years ago, a friend emailed me a PhotoPress slideshow made with SoundSlides software. I became astonished! I tried it but in 2 days I was very disapointed with its small possibilities. However, that was the big idea, my slides with music, all in a DVD to be played.

I searched in the net, I saw PTE, I remember I asked some questions, and - who else? - Lin replied with a long, long post, explaining why PTE was the best I could get and why! I remember I thanked Lin for this... and I don't regret at all.

Since than, PTE is my only "image job", I already made some projects, but my "big" PTE projects take me some 8 months to make! Can you believe? Am I slow, or are they complex and very rigorous and detailed projects? If you want my opinion... that's because they are very, very good!!! But, it's only an opinion...

I never claimed for any audio in PTE, because I make my soundtracks with my AVID LIQUID 7.2, which is very, very good, almost professional.

Concerning video integration in PTE, this is it! I hope to be the first to try, and I hope it will be a success.

In this very moment I am in the middle of a "big" project, and video integration would be 100% adequated. Will I wait till 7.0?

In the meantime, could Igor reveal some details of such PTE video?

For example:

- Video files format accepted?

- Maximum length, if any?

- Maximum video/audio bitrate?

- Variable opacity (video over a slide, fade-in/fade-out over slides on the back, etc.)?

- Text over video?

- Mask effect (video inside a mask)?

- Border for video is possible?

- Creating a final MP4 HD file of finished project, no problem with such mix (slides/video)?

- Etc..

I can't imagine if Igor is open to this, or if it is prudent under a commercial point of view. But I, myself, could go on preparing such video file while I wait...

Igor, congratulations for your work, and thank you for all the joy you are giving us!

Best regards,

Jose