WnSoft Forums

Windows7 vs Windows10

JEB

Hello.

There is maybe an indirect problem.

Last week, The migration from W7 to W10 was performed correctly, but two days ago, I discovered that several fonts previously downloaded were missing.

When a font is missing in a PTE project, there is no alert message.

The font is just replaced by the Arial font.

If the missing font is not very different than the Arial font, you may not notice it, as in my case.Police.jpg

The Vani font was replaced by the Arial font.

After analysing 120 PTE Projects, I discovered 8 other missing fonts and I downloaded and installed them again.

I used a visual basic program to research all these fonts in my 120 PTE projects, but without this program, it would have  been difficult to identify all these fonts !

It would be nice if PTE could send us a warning message in case of missing font.

Barry said:

Vulnerable to what?

I have to agree with Barry here.

I have heard and seen folks getting hit with malware and ransomware same as everyone else. It is still a matter of what you click on and where you surf.

As for the comment "Oh, you can always roll back" witness what Barry went through. Go to any forum that has a PC forum on it and see how many rollbacks there are that did not work correctly.

I have good security software as well as a good malware program protecting my computer. Remember, Common sense rules.

I back up every day using Macrium Reflect to a drive that is disconnected from my computer after the backup. Does that make me safe?

Not really! Suppose the ransomware or whatever is on your computer when you backed it up then you need to use that backup image. Still I'm safer then those who don't backup.

My point is there is no need for an upgrade unless you have problems. Security updates are still coming for win 7 and even there you need to be sure of what you download from Microsoft. I check out every download from them before I allow it on my machine. You would be surprised at the garbage they try to foster on you.

Steven

• 3 weeks later...

Windows 10 free upgrade until July 29. If you are still "sitting on the fence" about upgrading article this might help. I understand there are logical reasons not to upgrade.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2016/jul/21/should-i-take-my-last-chance-of-a-free-upgrade-to-windows-10

Tom

Hi,

Having started this topic it may be of interest to someone still in two minds to know that I have not experienced any issues since installing W10. However, I run it on my Mac only for PTE and Audacity within a virtual machine (Parallels). I do not access the internet through Windows but only from the Apple side of my machine utilising Mac protection which as I understand it is less vulnerable than a PC.

Regards

John

22 hours ago, Lin Evans said:

Well, here's yet another reason why I won't be using Windows 10:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/cortana-is-mandatory-in-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/

Best regards,

Lin

Operating systems sure have changed over the years. I'm sure there will be Cortana blocking software available soon after the update is released.

Tom

I am amazed that some people don't get that Windows 10 is more secure than Win 7.  

How is Win 7 more vulnerable? Good grief.  And this isn't about how good your malware, virus protection software is, you are likely running the best, "Security Essentials" anyway.  It's built in to Win 10.  

For starters you can look at this brief explanation about why Win 7 is more vulnerable and Win 10 is more secure.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2984602/security/why-windows-10-is-the-most-secure-windows-ever.html

Brilliant, I have a super safe PC with Windows 10 that won't run the main software I bought the PC for. Not everything is all about security Judy.

Computer security is probably more about the common sense of the user anyway and has anyone else ever thought that the threat always seems greater than the actual risk.

No, Sir.  Not everything is about security.  I also run Windows XP (not in the internet) and Linux for some special needs.  I think you may be mistaken about how "Computer security is probably more about the common sense of the user."  That may have been true once.  Times have changed.  Most users haven't a clue what can be done to breach security these days and how common it actually is.   Win 10 has made worthy strides in preventing security breaches--far overreaching Win 7.

Each to his own, but good information is better than bad.  We would do well to inform people with the good.

How much "security" is there when Windows 10 is sending your information you assumed was private home to Microsoft who is doing God knows what with it? 

" Microsoft's mandatory data collection is a privacy concern, but it was a privacy concern long before they removed Cortana's off switch. You can, of course, refuse to sign into Cortana or Windows 10 with a Microsoft account. But your usage data will still be collected, albeit anonymously."

Just a thought folks...

Best regards,

Lin

Lin

Isn't it just as true that many others are picking up your information when you are using Windows 7, so I don't think that it is a very strong argument for sticking with Windows 7.

I'm amazed at the amount of scaremongering that has gone on generally about upgrading to Windows 10.

Of course there may be possible software issues which might arise from upgrading, which is a different problem altogether, but just do what I've suggested before -suck it and see.

Take a disc image, do the upgrade to Windows 10 and see what happens. if you have problems (which the majority it seems, don't) then just restore your Windows 7 image and use that until you replace your computer.

Regards

wideangle

I only use  Windows 7  on  a notebook not connected to the internet.  I use XP and 8.1 and no, there isn't the same reporting home information gathering from either Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8.0 or 8.1 as from Windows 10. Install a router with blocking and reporting and see for yourself...  

As you can see by the issues Barry had - restoring Win 7 with USB ports, hardware drivers, etc., is not always all that simple.

Best regards,

Lin

Yesterday I upgraded my Windows 10 machine I also have a Vista laptop and a XP machine all connected to the internet using wired Lan connections  and using a paid security the same program that covers all three machines £30 . I cannot say I never have trouble but it has only been minor I avoid getting into trouble by only logging on to a sites with proper address such as microsoft.com or nero.com as examples and a known site in other words make sure it is the right place you are going . My way of thinking is the base of good computing is the operating system Windows and in all its forms over the years I have put my trust into and it has not let me down . Windows 10 in my opinion is the bees knees and I love Cortana and it was FREE, To sum up its down to three things  Good programs , Trust and Good old common sense .

Michael