WnSoft Forums

Cut Facility in Trim Video

rosy

Funny I was just dealing with the same issue in one of my video clips.  I have often also had cases where I want to shorten the video by removing stuff from the middle.  I have found that the best way to accomplish those types of things are using a dedicated video-editing program such as Movavi.  

Doug

It is actually very quick & easy to edit clips in the Timeline in PTE.

But I agree that being able to 'Split' & 'Trim' video clips in the way we can do with sound files would speed up workflow.

Hopefully in Version 12

Jill

Trim works in PTE..., but if you trim after adding the video to the show PTE as the main object it does not update the slide duration to the new duration of the trimmed video. I then have to go into slide options and manually change the duration. There is probably some automatic method that will do since it does not seem to bother anyone else.

Tom

I hadn't used Movavi for a year or so but on the "show" I am putting together now I have a few Smartphone videos that needed tweaking.  In addition to trimming from the front and shortening the end there were spots in the middle that needed to be removed.  Turned out being a breeze in spite of my not having used the program for quite a while.  One nice feature also when cutting pieces out of the middle is the ability to easily adding a transition at the splice--I used a cross-fade feature.  The result looks "professional" and it was easy-peasy.  I end up exporting the resulting clip to a new mp4 and then using that for the PTE project.

Yes, there are many options for trimming/splitting/cutting videos. I think the PTE version of trimming is good except I wish PTE would auto update the slide duration after making the main object video shorter or faster.

Tom

Yes, Tom. I've been there, done that. If you are not aware that it does not auto update the change in the video length, it can be frustrating. Auto update of the slide duration would be helpful. And being able to remove segments from the middle of the video would also be a welcome addition.

Gary

If you edit the video directly into the Timeline, then the Slide duration will be correct.
Add your video, right click & select 'Trim start of video' to the point you want.

Then simply add your next Slide/Video to the point you want the video to end.

Very quick & easy.

You can use the same video multiple times, selecting the portion you want each time.
No need to use the Trim facility or save as separate files.

Jill

I had forgotten the 'Trim start of video' would show up only when in the Timeline view. Thanks for the reminder. But the problem is it does not have 'Trim the end of video'. I have made this suggestion sometime ago to add 'Trim the end of video'. Yes, you can add the next Slide/Video to where you want the video to end, but it would just make more sense to be able to Trim the start and the end of a video. But better yet, be able to trim out pieces from the middle, as SeismicGuy suggests.

I've tried LosslessCut to cut out middle portions of video clips and it works well, once you figure out the program...

Gary

I agree a 'cut; facility would make things easier, but I really find it very easy to work with as it is.
By putting the next slide where you want the previous video to end you are in effect trimming the end of the video

35 minutes ago, SeismicGuy said:

But could you do things like trinming pieces from the middle with crossfading of the pieces and/or splicing on another video?

by adding the same video twice, you can easily cut a portion out of the middle.
You can add any transition between the 2 portions.

Jill

On 9/1/2022 at 2:03 PM, tom95521 said:

Trim works in PTE..., but if you trim after adding the video to the show PTE as the main object it does not update the slide duration to the new duration of the trimmed video. I then have to go into slide options and manually change the duration. There is probably some automatic method that will do since it does not seem to bother anyone else.

Tom

I have not found an automatic method either and it is annoying but I figured it was useless to complain.  If I need to do a lot of splitting on clips, I just do it in Cyberlink Power Director first.  For a one-off split I use PTE and go through the annoyance of resetting the slide duration based on the new timing after trim.  It definitely would be nice to have it automated or to just have the ability to split clips.  Maybe Igor will surprise us in the next version.

23 hours ago, jkb said:

I agree a 'cut; facility would make things easier, but I really find it very easy to work with as it is.
By putting the next slide where you want the previous video to end you are in effect trimming the end of the video

by adding the same video twice, you can easily cut a portion out of the middle.
You can add any transition between the 2 portions.

Jill

Greetings Jill,

Question... If we use the 'Trim start of video' and then drag the following image/video to the point where we'd want the video to end, is the project going to retain the full size of the portion that was covered over by dragging in the following image/video or not? For example, if the video you want to trim is an hour long, but you only want a small portion of it, will dragging the following image/video effectively reduce the size of the final project or will that portion of the video just be 'hidden'? (And you don't want to use any of the rest of that hour long video in the project).

Gary

Hi Gary, it will retain the full 1 hour of video, which is why you can go back later into O&A & change the time/position if you need to.

Usually when using video you will be Publishing as an MP4 rather than an exe.
The MP4 will only be the size of what you see.
An exe would be the sum of all the file sizes used.

If your original video is 1 hour long & you only want a very small part of it, then it may be better using the trim feature.

Or create a simple project to select the bits you want & then Publish that as an MP4 to use in your final project.

I rarely have videos that are much more than 5 minutes, most are usually about 30secs.
Alyhough I have some up to 20 minutes.

I have produced final shows up to 2 hours.

Jill

Greetings Jill,

Yes, I forgot to mention that my concern was the size of the project after it was Published as an Mp4. Good to know it will not retain the part of the video clip that was not used. I don't make exe's anymore.

Thanks... Gary

• Igor changed the title to Cut Facility in Trim Video