WnSoft Forums

Tiff images not being loaded (V11.0 Pro)

goddi

Greetings,

I was helping a friend with his PTE project. He was using V10. He had some Tiff images and they loaded correctly.

However, he then upgraded to 11.0 Pro. But the Tiff images would not load. Is this a bug? When I converted them to jpgs, they did load correctly.

455302183_TiffProblem.thumb.jpg.ceb13fd1d7fc66548665f3cc509755dc.jpg

Gary

PS I just noticed that the file extension is 'tif', not 'tiff'. Wonder if that is the problem. But they loaded in the V10.

=====================================

1 hour ago, davegee said:

I am not sure what the problem is but a simple Open in Photoshop and Save As xxx.tif makes it load ok in pte v11.

DG

Greetings, The question is that the file worked in V10, but not in V11. I did open it in PS and saved it as a jpg and it worked. So, why would this tif work in V10 but not V11. The person I am helping is a newbee so I don't think he or others would have figure it out since it had worked in his earlier version. Looking at them in MediaInfo, they look the same. And it works in other photo programs.

So it is a curiousity that I I hope Igor can explain.

Thanks... Gary

Gary, thanks for the sample TIFF file. I see this problem.

In V11 we updated video/graphics encoders/decoders for TIFF. And it seems that the problem occured with certain TIFF images.

TIFF container offers several options for a compression (JPEG, LZW, ZIP, etc).

Honestly, I cannot understand why this TIFF file cannot be loaded in V11.

In Photoshop I've saved a series of TIFF images with different options: no compression, ZIP compression, LZW compression (with one layer, or several layers), IBM format or Macintosh format. All created TIFF images were shown correctly in PTE 11.

The only known issue with TIFF with JPEG compression - this format is not supported in V10  or V11.

Thanks, Igor. I checked with my friend to see if he remembered how he created the image. All he can remember is that he must have scanned a print with a flatbed, but does not remember exactly how or with what.

At least now we know what to do if this issue reoccurs.  What is strange is that the MediaInfo does not show any difference between the original and being re-saved in PS.

Thanks... Gary

MediaInfo.thumb.jpg.b3d819355f79678123f2836d25ef9aec.jpg

Hi,

https://www.pteavstudio.com/forums/topic/35233-tiff-images-not-being-loaded-v110-pro/?do=findComment&comment=171129

Igor the default tiff from The Gimp is 

MIME Type                       : image/x-tiff-big

They call it "BigTIFF variant file format"

And Pte cannot load this tiff (But this not the case here)

Denis

I think maybe PTE does not like JPEG TIFFs. If I save in Irfanview with JPEG compression of TIFF then I see a black image. I see Igor already mentioned this. I don't know what other reason could cause this problem.

Tom

20 hours ago, tom95521 said:

I think maybe PTE does not like JPEG TIFFs. If I save in Irfanview with JPEG compression of TIFF then I see a black image. I see Igor already mentioned this. I don't know what other reason could cause this problem.

Tom, TIFFs with a JPEG compression also didn't work in previous v10.5, too. Current code doesn't support this format.

21 hours ago, denisb said:

Igor the default tiff from The Gimp is 

MIME Type                       : image/x-tiff-big

They call it "BigTIFF variant file format"

And Pte cannot load this tiff (But this not the case here)

Denis, thanks, I'll read more info on BigTIFF.

Denis, you're right. I checked saving of TIFF images in GIMP. The problem with BigTIFF files in PTE 11.

BigTIFF is an unofficial extension of TIFF format which introduced 64-bit offsets to be able save images larger than 4GB.

We use FFmpeg library 4.4 to decode TIFF images and this version doesn't support BigTIFF format. Earlier we used FFmpeg 4.1.1. For some reason they dropped support of BigTIFF format. We need to think how to solve this issue.