AlexRoma Posted August 20 Report Posted August 20 Hi, a comment about the backup function. I usually organize my files by dividing them into various folders based on their intended use (photos, other images, maps, tables, music, sounds, etc.). When I unzip the backup zip file, all the hundreds of files are grouped into a single folder, making it nearly impossible for me to make any changes. Wouldn't it be more convenient, if possible, for the backup zip file to replicate the same tree structure as the original folders? 1 Quote
SoCu Posted August 20 Report Posted August 20 Yes, I agree. If possible, it would be good to have that folder structure instead of having everything mixed up and without any order. If possible, it would also be good if it could contain subfolders, because if we have a folder with photos, and inside that, more subfolders with different names, and inside each of these folders, we have names like photo 1, photo 2, photo 3, etc., and inside another subfolder we have files with the same name as the previous one, when the backup is created, there's a problem because of having files with the same name. Quote
jt49 Posted August 20 Report Posted August 20 In older versions of PTE we had a problem with images having the same name (located in different folders). Version 12 uses renaming to solve the problem. Having a complex tree stucture in the backup in zip is a matter of taste. I myself would not like it. Maybe, PTE could offer the feature as an option? Quote
jkb Posted August 20 Report Posted August 20 A Backup Zip is simply that - A Backup Not something you are meant to keep working on. If you need to change anything work with your original Project & make any changes there. It is the same with A Template which I use for every Project, but only once it is complete. If I make changes then I make a new Template, sometimes overwriting the first one, sometimes giving it a new name & then deleting the first.. Jill Quote
jkb Posted August 20 Report Posted August 20 1 hour ago, jt49 said: Having a complex tree stucture in the backup in zip is a matter of taste I agree I wouldn't want a complex structure. But what would be good is if Duplicates could incorporate the Folder name instead of just Pic1, Pic2 etc. If it said Folder1-Pic1 & Folder2-Pic1 that would help to identify where the duplicates are located. Jill Quote
AlexRoma Posted August 20 Author Report Posted August 20 251 Jill, obviously I don't work on backups, but years after completing a presentation, I've had the need/want to change something. If I could find the original structure, it would be easier to revisit an older production. It's my taste, I understand... moreover, by saving the original folder structure, there would be no need to rename the various duplicate files Quote
jkb Posted August 20 Report Posted August 20 2 hours ago, AlexRoma said: If I could find the original structure, it would be easier to revisit an older production. ok I understand. This is why I always leave all of my files in their original Folders & it is only any new files specific to a particular AV that I store in new Folder. When creating a backup copy to keep safe I Create a Template & store that on an external drive & also store the Folder for that AV as well. Also when copying to a different computer. If I need to change anything in the future I can easily open the Template from within PTE. Also almost all of my editing is done within PTE I rarely use any other software. So changes are easy to make. If I do use other software then I would store those amended files in the same AV Folder. A Template or backup zip is simply a way of keeping the files for the finished project 'just in case' I realise that everyone works in different ways. Jill Quote
denisb Posted August 20 Report Posted August 20 Hi, If you organize your files by dividing them into various folders based on their intended use (photos, other images, maps, tables, music, sounds, etc.), why you don't use windows to make a ZIP ? Just make a ZIP of your main folder Denis Quote
AlexRoma Posted August 20 Author Report Posted August 20 Denis, that's exactly what I do. It's just that every time I restore an older version of the presentation (yes, it happens to me...) I have to recreate the same path so that PTE can find all the files on its own. I would have preferred to use PTE's backup function, which would have made my job easier (and it also saves styles and transitions, which Windows doesn't do.). That's all. Quote
canaro99 Posted August 20 Report Posted August 20 I, too, am in the Win zip camp. It's easier for me Quote
jienense Posted August 21 Report Posted August 21 I'm still not quite understanding... If, when creating a backup, it now creates a zip folder with all the files, which is difficult to navigate when dealing with complex projects, what difference would it make? What difference would it make if it created the same thing, but, for example, in three folders: audio, images, and video? When you need to find a file, I think that would be easier. You mention that the .zip file is just a backup file, but it turns out that more and more projects from other users are being shared online as zip files created as backups. Therefore, I think that if the zip file is better organized, it can't be a problem for anyone. Please forgive me and Google for the translation Quote
denisb Posted August 21 Report Posted August 21 Hi you write that "I have to recreate the same path so that PTE can find all the files" I dont need to recreate the path. Try the example linked. https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/2fb3d9b9-9c14-446e-a918-894244f5eddb You don't need to recreate my path. Denis Quote
AlexRoma Posted August 21 Author Report Posted August 21 I'm afraid it's my problem, PTE can't even find your photos Quote
Igor Posted August 21 Report Posted August 21 Hi, We can potentially preserve the original folders structure in a ZIP archive. However, there are 2 pitfalls: 1. If some project files are located on different drives, the folder structure in the ZIP archive will be complicated, because the full path to the file from the drive root will need to be added. This mode even appeared by default in one of Beta versions 12.0 by a mistake. 2. PTE will not be able to open this project (as is); the project will need to be modified specifically for this case - the code hasn't been written yet. Alternative solution: if the project files are well organized into a group of folders with a common root near the project file, it's probably even easier to simply use WinZIP (7-zip), as suggested above, for to have a complete control over project backups? Quote
AlexRoma Posted August 21 Author Report Posted August 21 Hi Igor, I understand the technical difficulties. Sound and image files (often thousands) are well organized in a group of folders. The problem is that (as you well know) the .pte file contains the "absolute" path to the file, for example: ImageName=C:\tmp\test\Photos\Sea\Waves10.jpg If I unzip the zip file to a different drive/folder, I have to tell PTE where the files are located. My projects reference an E: drive. When I work on a PC that doesn't have an E: drive, things get more complicated. A relative address would be needed starting from a "main" folder in which to save the project files. It's clearly not a vital function and can easily be bypassed. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you and your team for the work you're doing. I've been working in IT for a few decades and have never had such a positive experience using software, and especially having such close and effective contact with technical support. This alone makes it worth the cost of the program. Please excuse my Google Translate's English... Quote
jt49 Posted August 21 Report Posted August 21 When I create a new PTE project, I typically use images from several folders, each of which contains lots of images. Having finished the project, I use the Backup in zip for collecting all media in use within a single folder that I can save in my archive of PTE projects. This is the reason why I like the Backup in zip as it is now. There is one thing that I do not like with project file from the zip Backup: It still seems to use the paths to the original images. IMO it should use the copied images in the folder of the unzipped Backup. Of course its is easy to change the paths using a workaround: I change the name of the root folder of my large image collection; then I open the project in the folder of the unzipped Backup (now PTE does not find the original images and automatically switches to the copies in the same folder), then I save the project and close it. Then I rename the root folder again. Quote
denisb Posted August 21 Report Posted August 21 Hi jt49, I don't agree with you: PTE use the copied images in the folder of the unzipped backup and then if it don't find some files, it use the original path. The keyword is: IsTemplate If IsTemplate=0 PTE look first in the folder of the path if IsTemplate=1 PTE look first in the folder of the .pte When PTE make the ZIP it change first IsTemplate=0 to 1 Denis Quote
jkb Posted August 21 Report Posted August 21 I always use Templates never Zip files. The main reason is that I can easily see all my Projects within PTE - File/Templates - they all show I have the same Template folder structure on my Laptop & Desktop & backup disks, so I can easily copy the new Template from one PC to the other & everything works. With Zip you take up twice the storage as you have to unzip to use it. With Templates you find the Files within PTE & don't have to remember where you stored them. Jill Quote
jkb Posted August 21 Report Posted August 21 4 hours ago, denisb said: You don't need to recreate my path. Denis, your example project worked fine for me including the Custom Transition. A Template would work just as well & I wouldn't need to unzip. I could just place it in my Templates Folder - so much easier. Jill Quote
jt49 Posted August 21 Report Posted August 21 Hi Denis, I just made a short test with v12: I produced a BIZ, I unzipped it, .pte shows isTemplate=1, but the included image comes from the original folder 😞 Quote
denisb Posted August 22 Report Posted August 22 Hi Jürgen Oups, it's a bug of PTE 12. If you try PTE11, PTE10, PTE9, it works like I explained. Denis Quote
jt49 Posted August 22 Report Posted August 22 I know the correct behavoir from earlier versions, but v11 seems to have the same bug. Edit: v11 does not have the same bug! Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.