WnSoft Forums

Do you create Virtual AVI or Custom AVI?

Igor

We're reworking video output in future PicturesToExe now. Currently AVI video output suggests 3 options. By default, PicturesToExe creates AVI video file with MPEG-SP codec - no changes here. I have two questions regarding other modes:

1. Do you create Virtual AVI video file? This old function allows to tranfer video stream from PicturesToExe to an external video editing software for further processing/encoding.

Can we remove it?

2. Do you create AVI video file with custom video/audio codecs installed in Windows?

Can we remove it?

P.S. The new video output will work more reliable, and this code will be used in Mac version in future. We'd like to discard old rarely used options which difficult to rewrite.

Hi Igor,

Does your question mean do we use PTE to create AVI video with custom video/audio codecs?

I use other software such as ParticleIllusions to create avi video with custom video/audio codecs which is then played with PTE.

I just wanted to clarify that these questions refer to using PTE to create these. One thing to keep in mind is that if, in the future, PTE can allow users to create their own AVI videos with RGBA alpha channel, the videos will need to use appropriate third party codecs.

Best regards.

Lin

I always used to make MP4 but recently I looked at sending my show in to a competition and according to the requirements I can not send in MP4 or EXE files. AVI files are allowed. I made an AVI video file with PTE,nothing custom I think, just 1920 x 1080, high quality, and 30P. That played fine, and I hope the opportunity to make these files will stay as it is.

Bert

Igor, I would like to know what proportion of regular experienced PTE users actually enter AV competitions.

I read all discussions on several PTE sub-forums, and I usually learn something. However, I am not interested in AV competitions.

Hence my question. Are you wanting to have feedback from users such as myself?

PTE is my main tool (let's say 99%) for creating the travel shows that my friends/acquaintances/contacts enjoy. In am likely to present to travel clubs and travel-keen people in other groups. I am just curious to know how much my wishes are important, when compared with the wishes of AV club competitors.

Best Wishes ...Ken T (aplman)

In my opinion, it is a bit difficult to answer these questions. It would be helpful to know which options for video output PTE will offer to the user.

My TV likes XVID videos. Although it is an MPEG-4 implementation, my impression is that it runs better than the MPEG-4 AVI that is offered by PTE. So, in the past I often used the Virtual AVI in order to generate XVID videos using external software. Only recently, I also used the H264 export with highest quality parameters just for transcoding to XVID (without noticing any loss in quality). Perhaps a loss, not having the Virtual AVI.

PTE generated AVIs with custom codecs seem to have a 2 GB restriction. This feature could be canceled. But it would be fine to have video export to MKV videos with custom codec.

Regards,

jt

Bert

That doesn't sound right to me. In every AV competition I have seen in the past few years it's Mp4's and Exe that are wanted.

Barry, the judging in this (small) competition is sometimes done with Mac's. I think this is a concession to the Mac users.

As long as the AVI is easy to make, I have no problem with it.

Bert

Bert

Usually the stipulation is that any slide show entered to a competition must be free standing. In other words it should not be necessary to install any software in order to run the slide show. Many are now remotely judged so it's not reasonable to ask someone to judge a competition and then they have to install player software.

Ken. I don't really understand your post, can you clarify a little. AV competitions only play a tiny part of overall AV.

I create virtual AVI output mainly.

Please, please, please don't remove virtual AVI output.

I also sometimes produce AVI with a custom codec, but as long as virtual AVI output is not removed I can achieve the same thing with third-party video editing software.

One more thought: if Wnsoft plans to make PTE a 64-bit application in the future then I suggest to keep the raw, uncompressed output option and not remove it.

• 2 weeks later...

Possible future Mac version? That sounds very interesting. :)

I have not used custom or virtual AVI in a long time. I am hoping that PTE will support 4K as a preset option. YouTube does support higher resolutions and 4K cameras are dropping in price.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Thanks,

Tom

Sorry Igor for being very late to answer your question, perhaps too late...but in any case, just for your information...

Creating an AVI file

there was 3 different options available for project customization :

1) Virtual AVI video file (which existed previously since several years)

2) MPEG4 ASP video with AAC audio

3) Custom video & audio codec

Personnaly I have made some experiences with all these 3 options

Option 2 could have been interesting for those who had not powerful PC or video players but it is less and less the case. Today, in most countries, the TV programs are broadcast in h264 (MPEG4 AVC).

Option 3 in my opinion is redundant with option1 and is even more difficult to use, I do not see any real interest for it as we can do the same and more with option 1.

Option 1 is interesting. I used it several times exporting AVI frames from PTE to a third party video editor ( Virtualdub, as an example) this option gives the advantages to avoid cascading video coding and to use different codecs and filters depending on our needs. Personnaly I would appreciate if this option was maintained in the future.

Best regards

Daniel