WnSoft Forums

VIDEO BUILDER

JEB

Hi,

I am having a problem with Video Builder. I am trying to make a DVD with two shows. I open up the first show go to Publish Show select DVD Video Disk which places the current .pte file in the timeline. I then try to navigate to the folder that contains the second .pte file but it can't be opened. Am I doing something wrong? It is some time since I did this so quite likely!  Added screen grab below.

On reflection as my objective is to create a DVD with both shows on it. Would I be better creating two MP4 files? As I want to be able to burn multiple copies of a DVD containing both shows for people to view on TV what is considered the best way forward. I need to keep in mind that not every recipient will necessarily have the most up to date TV. I for instance will have to upgrade my own TV when the valves blow!! Only kidding but it is old.

John

Capture.PNG

In my view, the DVD option needs to be removed from PTE. It’s old, it’s poor quality, it causes most of the issues people seem to have. It makes no sense to spend hard earned time and money creating updated software for a defunct technology.

So, make a Mp4 JEB and at least retain the nice quality you have worked to achieve :D

Hi John

If the folder won't open it looks like some problem with the file navigation system rather than the second .pte file.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you start afresh with the second pte file and use that to open Videobuilder - can you then get to the other pte file in the navigation system?

Barry

I hear what you say about DVDs, but there are still lots of people out there who don't have smart tvs or gadgetry to play mp4s, and who still make good use of Dvds.

It's horses for courses - you left Dvds a long time ago because your requirements are very different, especially in terms of quality, but it seems very extreme to say that the option NEEDS to be removed from PTE because you don't have any use for it.

Regards

wideangle

A survey on here is hardly representative of general use, quite the opposite in my view, but then my view doesn’t matter either. Igor will make his own decisions based on cost/benefit.

We could have a bet on it :D You are around this forum enough to know that DVD production causes a great deal of frustration for those least likely to be able to resolve it.

Remove it, spare people the issues and steer them towards an MP4 instead. Oh and save development time and cost at the same time. 

Hi,

To answer Wideangle first, yes I have tried opening the other show first and have the same issue.

Since making my initial post I was influenced by Barry's initial reply in particular his thoughts on MP4.  I have been making MP4's for my own use more frequently in the past year or so as I bought a blu ray player. I have just been conscious of the fact that some folks may not have the ability to play MP4 on their TV, but then perhaps they have a PC or if they are very lucky a MAC! I'm only talking about twenty or so people and most of them are photographers so are probably fairly up to date.

Thank you both for your input. I find this forum is a great place for clearing the mind.

Cheers

John

The latest TVs can not only play MP4 from usb but can record to usb. I will possibly be investing in this technology ealy in 2018.

We discussed this a while ago and I found that there are two ways to play MP4 from a BR Player connected to an older TV via HDMI. The easiest way is to plug a usb stick into the BR Player and start the video from there. I was surprised to find (at that time) that a BR Player will also play an MP4 which is written as data to a DVD.

I seem to remember that it was also possible with the latest generation of Standard DVD Players. Perhaps someone else remembers. I have not burned a DVD from PTE in a long time!

DG

1 hour ago, JEB said:

It's a bit of a mess isn't it?

:)

Why so? It is an evolving technology but it requires that you keep up with it. You have bought a BR player and are able to play mp4. BR Players capable of doing this are not expensive. Mine was a bargain discontinued Sony model which I bought at my local supermarket for around £40 - it even has dual usb ports (back and front).

When it comes to TVs it depends on what size you "must" have and whether you require 4k, 3d and all of the bells and whistles. If you can live with 32" HD you can get everything that you want including USB recording / playback for around £400.

DG

Yes, we have a serious dilemma.

I understand that VideoBuilder has problems, but its code is very old. We should spend months to rewrite it. DVD is a dying technology and of course we'd like to spend our time to add more important features which will be used by all users.

On other hands, I understand that DVD is still useful for many users, as mentioned above.

Anyway future Mac version will not include VideoBuilder.

I think the DVD engine is licensed. Maybe a good compromise is to keep the option to build the .iso image and then use an external burner like imgburn. I have not burned a DVD slideshow in probably the last two years. I rarely watch movies from DVD or Blu-ray. Almost everything is streamed these days.

Tom

Having read through this thread I agree with most that's been said about the future of DVD and whether it's a good choice for outputting slideshows. However it is a feature offered in PicturesToExe, which may attract some people when deciding to buy the software, and should therefore work efficiently.

Geoff

I tend to look at this differently.  You say some people may be attracted to PTE by the fact a DVD is possible. How many would be tempted by obsolete technology from all those who view the software as potential customers? Impossible to guess?

How many would be turned off by the fact that old, out of date technology is still included. You could make an argument that keeping DVD authoring can make the software look dated and old. 

How much time, money and effort should go into making it work efficiently, when the ground beneath your feet is constantly changing? It makes no sense and we also know that from questions on this forum and elsewhere about quality. Most who do use a DVD are surprised by the quality of the result they get.

It has to go. DVD RIP:D

Hi,

Confusion strikes again I'm afraid.

I accept I should start with an MP4 file.

If I don't use a DVD/BR disc how do I provide people with a copy of my show? I can't believe that I give them a USB stick or expect them to download it from some source.

Am I missing something?

Cheers.

John