WnSoft Forums

Displacement Map effect

Igor

I like displacement maps. They are very powerful but will take some time to learn how to create the custom masks. I created a simple spiral object in BoxySVG and then converted using https://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/

Tom

1,2, or 4 ripple transitions.

Ripple1.pteeff

• Like 4

Thanks everyone. Maybe Igor will add a displacement transition. This was only an experiment testing normal maps. I might make another version with random drops. Feel free to improve on the transition. and post.

Tom

Only 1 random option, not finished.

• Like 2

Here is my last version I think. On to other projects. Various number of ripple spirals and 3 random location versions. I like it when the ripple patterns touch each other and create new distortions.

Tom

Ripple2.pteeff

ripple2.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Tom,

Thanks for sharing this transition with us! I'm glad that you deeply learned the new Displacement Map effect in V11.

You can optimize a file size of this transition converting a PNG to a JPEG. It should reduce a final size in 5-8 times.

Just an idea. Can you try to implement the following 2 effects?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK0QCeafKkc

• Like 1

Hi Igor,

I had forgotten about those transitions. My first thought is I think I will need to add an opacity mask to see the second slide in the displacement spiral. The curved wave front displacement should be easier. I did not think about saving size on mask but it's easy to change to jpeg.

I will see what I can do and maybe others wish to play with the idea. I am not an expert, that is for sure.

Thanks,
Tom

• Like 1

First attempt needs work. I think the normal map displacement is reversing so I tried to emulate by using 2 normal maps and oscillating opacity 50 percent out of phase.

Tom

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Igor said:

Tom, 

This transition with all variants look very good. Thanks!

Can you try to avoid appearing of a grey screen when the transition is being applied to the first slide?

P.S. "Rain" options slightly shift a picture.

Today is my farming day but I will look into this when I return. I think I added a neutral grey (RGB 128) behind the slides because when cross fading between slides it appeared darker than either slide. I think I can fix the problems. 

Thanks,
Tom

Update: I now keep slide 2 at 100% opacity to fix the cross fade. I think this solves the problem and how the PTE dissolve transition works. I have not found the problem with rain transitions so far.

Ripple4.pteeff

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Igor said:

Tom, can you include your transition for V11?

Yes. Of course you can use anything I post. I hope you can improve upon the basic concept.

Thanks,
Tom

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tonton Bruno said:

Hi. Is somebody able to find or create a normal map in order to simulate a magnifying ruler ?

if you adjust the shape of the Magnifier Mask then you can get a long thin mask.
Not quite the same as your ruler, but it does work.

Jill

Slide1.thumb.jpg.e43c87dc2ff4d0b0fcb8197379e687e1.jpg

Igor see possible bug in separate post
https://www.pteavstudio.com/forums/topic/33281-displacent-map-not-displaying-correctly-in-mini-preview/

I have fixed the rain shift problem (in all the transitions) due to incorrect opacity values and displacement map strength.
I also experimented with water transition based on filter forge tropical water  bump map. There are 3 variations.
From mild
1 x 100 = 1 cycle with strength 100
To strong
7 x 300 = 7 cycles with strength 300
There are also 3 extra versions that have x 360 for rotation of normal maps for strange effect.

Thanks,
Tom

Water1.jpg

Ripple5.pteeff Water1.pteeff

• Like 1