WnSoft Forums

Backup in a ZIP and duplicate filenames

Igor

Hi,

In all versions Create backup in a ZIP command cannot create a ZIP archive if a project contains two or more files (images/video/audio) with the same name in different folders. For example, Picture.jpg in Folder1 and in Folder2 which are used in a project.

Note. Multiple files with the same name may be duplicates or unique files (for example, unique Background.jpg files in different folders).

In future version 12.0 we automatically rename the second file to Picture_2.jpg (Picture_3.jpg, etc) to resolve this situation and allow to create a ZIP archive for any project. Project file in a ZIP also is being modified to use a new file name(s).

Of course, the original project and its files remain not modified.

What you think?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Igor changed the title to Backup in a ZIP and duplicate filenames

Thanks Igor, This will be very useful. Will it also do the same for a Template?

If at all possible it would be helpful if PTE could indicate which files are duplicates.

Having to search through a long project with many Objects to find a duplicate takes a very long time.

Jill

Can this be the same reason that I can not "Create a back-up in Zip" in my PTE Studio 10.5.9 Pro? 

The back in zip only does not work with this show.  This is  a 2.73GB show I made last year (2022) with 257 slides.  With many video and audio files.

As I have no plans to upgrade from Studio 10.5.9 pro, will there be no possibility for me to "Create a back-up in Zip" in the PTE studio Pro I have now?

Bert

3 hours ago, Igor said:

In future version 12.0 we automatically rename the second file to Picture_2.jpg (Picture_3.jpg, etc) to resolve this situation and allow to create a ZIP archive for any project.

Igor, it may be better to archive the project along with the folders, preserving the nesting of files in folders.

Hi,

Thanks for your responses!

We'll do the same for project templates with duplicates (same file names). Jill, thanks for reminding. 

21 hours ago, jkb said:

If at all possible it would be helpful if PTE could indicate which files are duplicates.

Having to search through a long project with many Objects to find a duplicate takes a very long time.

Jill, probably you mean a special new command to check for duplicates a current project?

Probably it would better to think about more complex tool which checks a project for duplicates and used fonts. Maybe something else.

18 hours ago, Bert said:

Can this be the same reason that I can not "Create a back-up in Zip" in my PTE Studio 10.5.9 Pro? 

The back in zip only does not work with this show.  This is  a 2.73GB show I made last year (2022) with 257 slides.  With many video and audio files.

As I have no plans to upgrade from Studio 10.5.9 pro, will there be no possibility for me to "Create a back-up in Zip" in the PTE studio Pro I have now?

Bert, I think it's another issue. Any version of PTE cannot create ZIP archives larger than 2 GB.

We plan to vastly rework ZIP packing code to be able create archives larger than 2 GB. I hope that it will be added for V11 in February-March. Not for V10, sorry.

17 hours ago, vbl2007 said:

Igor, it may be better to archive the project along with the folders, preserving the nesting of files in folders.

Original files can be located in a complex hierarchy of folders and different drives. It would be hard (or impossible) to repeat it in a ZIP archive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Igor said:

Probably it would better to think about more complex tool which checks a project for duplicates and used fonts.

To be able to check for duplicates would be very useful, especially if it could show the path names for the duplicates as well as the Slide they are on.

I never use Backup up Zip, always Template.

Jill

Hallo Igor,

Create backup in a ZIP  is super handy, I use it all the time after every program session.

Automatically rename the duplicate files is a good idea.

But so far, personally I don't have a problem with it because I keep in mind that I don't use the same file names in a project.

But please keep the date and hour indication of the ZIP archive folder.

Thanks

Renaming duplicate files in project templates would be much appreciated.  Have run into this issue many times as I sometimes drag files onto the timeline from different folders instead of starting out with everything in a single project folder before I start. 

My only question would be what type of warning you could provide if the .pte project file in a template with renamed files was opened again.  Just the current notice that certain files are missing as now occurs?  Could you maybe add a sort of flag text file in the main template folder containing a list of filenames that were changed as a log when the template is saved and filenames are changed and when a project is opened with missing files say something to the effect that there may be a log file indicating that some files were renamed and may exist in the template folder and the .pte project filenames should be changed accordingly.  

Just a thought.  I'm sure you will come up with something more elegant.  And thanks again for agreeing to make this addition to the next version of your wonderful software!

Renaming duplicates will work, but it might cause some kind of confusion in cases where the original project already contains images with the new names, e.g.: Picture.jpg appears twice, but Picture_1.jpg is already there (maybe twice as well). There might be a simple concept working with folders while keeping the duplicates' original names.

12 hours ago, CorVdK said:

But please keep the date and hour indication of the ZIP archive folder.

Cor, 

A created backup in a ZIP archive has original dates/times of included files (images, videos, audio), except of .pte project file, because it's being updated.

6 hours ago, mhwarner said:

Renaming duplicate files in project templates would be much appreciated.  Have run into this issue many times as I sometimes drag files onto the timeline from different folders instead of starting out with everything in a single project folder before I start. 

My only question would be what type of warning you could provide if the .pte project file in a template with renamed files was opened again.  Just the current notice that certain files are missing as now occurs?  Could you maybe add a sort of flag text file in the main template folder containing a list of filenames that were changed as a log when the template is saved and filenames are changed and when a project is opened with missing files say something to the effect that there may be a log file indicating that some files were renamed and may exist in the template folder and the .pte project filenames should be changed accordingly.  

Just a thought.  I'm sure you will come up with something more elegant.  And thanks again for agreeing to make this addition to the next version of your wonderful software!

Hi Mary,

PTE 12 will backup into a ZIP a project with duplicating files. The project file (in the ZIP) will be modified automatically to links the renamed duplicating files. So after unpacking this ZIP archive a copy of this project will be opened correctly without any warnings.

8 minutes ago, jt49 said:

Renaming duplicates will work, but it might cause some kind of confusion in cases where the original project already contains images with the new names, e.g.: Picture.jpg appears twice, but Picture_1.jpg is already there (maybe twice as well). There might be a simple concept working with folders while keeping the duplicates' original names.

Hi,

Sorry, I'm not sure that I rightly understood your thoughts and idea.

Automatic renaming of duplicating files (for a project backup/template) will use only free (not used) file names in this project.

2 minutes ago, Igor said:

...  Automatic renaming of duplicating files (for a project backup/template) will use only free (not used) file names in this project.

This is obvious! As I said: Renaming will work, but the result may look a little bit odd. Look at my example from above, where the original project contains both images twice: Picture.jpg and Picture_1.jpg. This will give us in the zip-backup: Picture.jpg, Picture_1.jpg (not a duplicate but an original), Picture_2 (duplicate of Picture.jpg), and Picture_1_1.jpg (duplicate of Picture_1.jpg). Yes. it works, but I wonder if I would like it :unsure:

1 hour ago, jt49 said:

Look at my example from above, where the original project contains both images twice: Picture.jpg and Picture_1.jpg. This will give us in the zip-backup: Picture.jpg, Picture_1.jpg (not a duplicate but an original), Picture_2 (duplicate of Picture.jpg), and Picture_1_1.jpg (duplicate of Picture_1.jpg). Yes. it works, but I wonder if I would like it :unsure:

Yes, exactly, it works this way in future PTE 12. I understand your point.

I also added a smart compression for a backup in ZIP. Almost all project files are stored in a compressed formats (JPEG, MP3, MP4, etc). No need to compress these files using ZIP algorithms. ZIP format allows to set individual compression level for each file. After this optimization, ZIP archives in PTE are being created in 3-5 times faster than earlier. The resulting file size is almost same, a difference is less than 1%.

• Like 1